VersaTuner for 2016- (ND) MX-5 Miata Now Available

Global Forum and VersaTune company related announcements.
SirLevi

Re: VersaTuner for 2016- (ND) MX-5 Miata Now Available

Post by SirLevi »

Thank you for the support Ugnius!

Are there specific procedures in data logging?

Flooring the accelerator pedal on 2nd gear at 2000-4500 RPM...

I am recording KR -4.0 Max on 93 OCT stock tune. Intake temp is 200deg F, oil temp is 180deg F.

Please advice,
Levi
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

SirLevi wrote:I am recording KR -4.0 Max on 93 OCT stock tune. Intake temp is 200deg F, oil temp is 180deg F.
Did the wheels spin when you did that log? Was the steering wheel straight?
Also 200F for intake temps is pretty high, there's a chance the car was absolutely heatsoaked when you logged.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
SirLevi

Post by SirLevi »

It is possible that the engine is heat soaked. It was one of the hottest day here in New York.

No wheel spin and wheels are straight.

What is the correct way in data logging?
SirLevi

Post by SirLevi »

Thank you for the detailed and safety instructions!

Now that we know hoe to properly data log,

Is negative KR -2 max considered safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

There's no "correct" way. Whatever results in consistent usable data for the situation you want to tune for you're good.
So this is how I do it, after driving the car for at least 20 minutes started cold:
  • Drive the car to the spot where you usually take your logs;
  • bring it up to the right speed for the gear you want to start logging in;
  • push the record button to start logging;
  • look ahead and on the road sides, make sure there's nobody or nothing that could endanger you or become a danger for them;
  • floor it PAST the RPM or speed point you want to have usable data for;
  • start slowing down, do not search for the record button at this point because you're at a higher speed than normal. Sometimes youo may be at 60mph which is 100-120 feet away from a complete stop (depoending on the car, surface, tires, whatever), some other times you may be at 100+ which is 300+ feet away from avoiding a collision;
  • once you're back down to a safer speed press the record button again to stop logging.
It is absolutely no problem if you log 10-15 seconds before and/or after the actual pull with the data you need. You can export these in CSV format and trim the data in a sheet application such as Excel/Libreoffice Calc/whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFRWgogaBz0
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mrevilandy

Post by mrevilandy »

I just purchased and was able to install the 93 stock tune on my ND and I have to say thank you. I cant wait to start adding more tunes with power options. Speaking of which, this is all very new to me and I really dont know how to go about getting more / different tunes when I do add power mods (different from which is already available).

I hope to see more tunes from you guys!!
Gigioxr2

Post by Gigioxr2 »

I need help calibrating the multiple sensors !

How do I find out the Voltage VS Temperature for IAT and ECT?
Is it always the lower the Voltage feedback the higher the Temperature?

How to calibrate a Knock Sensor ?

Any help will be appreciated.

I am trying to solve an issue with LIMP MODE code P117 A
Can anyone have this issue resolved with the calibration of sensors?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Gigioxr2 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:53 am Can anyone have this issue resolved with the calibration of sensors?
You seem to have bigger electrical problems. These sensors should not need re-calibration unless you changed them with different one that have a totally different response curve, and given the range of the OEM sensors you should have absolutely no need to do that.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Gigioxr2

Post by Gigioxr2 »

mituc wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:24 pm
Gigioxr2 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:53 am Can anyone have this issue resolved with the calibration of sensors?
You seem to have bigger electrical problems. These sensors should not need re-calibration unless you changed them with different one that have a totally different response curve, and given the range of the OEM sensors you should have absolutely no need to do that.
Thanks for your feedback but I still have not a straight answer from this forum and is frustrating none the less to deal with an issue that nobody knows about on how to resolve.

Simply we road race 2 ND1 Miata an we are experiencing P117A and goes into Limp Mode holding the car to barely 6K RPM and not accelerating properly hence is thinking that there is something wrong.
The question regarding sensor calibration is because I have read that TEMPERATURE is an issue that triggers the LIMP Mode.

If I cant get help in this forum the customer is considering other venue like ECUTEK to resolve the problem once and for all as he thinks there is better support based on feedback from other racers.

Thanks for your help!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Gigioxr2 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 9:54 am Thanks for your feedback but I still have not a straight answer from this forum and is frustrating none the less to deal with an issue that nobody knows about on how to resolve.
There are three possible situations in your case:
1. the sensor is not the original one and has a different response curve than the OEM. Solution: put an OEM sensor back in!
2. the sensor is bad or the harness is bad so in certain conditions it gives max readings triggering limp mode;
3. the oil temperature goes indeed too high so you need to use an additional oil cooler/radiator.

In neither of these two situations you will need to recalibrate the sensor, with versatuner, ecutek or even a standalone solution (well, yes, with a stand-alone you could put in whatever sensor you want and calibrate it individually, but with the OEM ecu you should use the OEM sensor, I guess it has a wide enough temperature range).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7