Better X and Y axis scaling in the Visualization feature

Post your feature requests here.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Better X and Y axis scaling in the Visualization feature

Post by mituc »

The purpose of this feature request or actually graph correction is better visual displaying of graphs which helps quite a lot in understanding where intermediary values land after interpolation and also give an idea on the smoothness of a configuration vector/table.

Some tables seem to have the Y axis scaled based on some general properties of the parameter on this axis which maxes the graph unusable.
In tables like Boost Control -> BCS DC Adjustment - Boost Limit Exceeded, Load Targeting -> BCS DC Adjustment - Load Target Correction Incremental/Initial, the WGDC values go to 50-100%. While with aftermarket boost controllers we reduce these values quite a bit (10 times in some cases) we end up with something that visually resembles with almost a straight line. The Y axis in this case should be scaled to like 25 or maximum 50% more than the maximum absolute value from the configured values. By example if in Load Target Correction Initial I have a maximum correction value of, say, 10, it makes no sense for the Y axis to go all the way to 100%. In BCS DC Adjustment - Boost Limit Exceeded the maximum value is -1.4 even in the stock tune, and yet the Y axis goes all the way down to -100%.

Most of the tables are optimal and auto scale (MAF calibration is one of them) but some of them which are also quite important are not, and sometimes I'd rather use the graph than trying to interpolate the values myself.

In some other cases, and the APP calibration tables at least are one of them, the spacing between the values of X is constant rather than scaled. On the graph we have the same visual distance between 70 and 80 and between 80 and 82.5, 0 and 2, 10 and 30. Even though in the particular case of pedal calibration there is some angle involved, having all the spacing messed up takes away even the potential intuition in the tuning process.

I'm not sure if it worth the effort or if it's possible but sometimes zooming into some graphs helps. Although the only one that I can think this feature would be useful for is the MAF calibration, which for to make it perfect I had to make my own graphs and also 1st degree derive to ensure a certain level of smoothness.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: Better X and Y axis scaling in the Visualization feature

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Thank you, these are valid points. I have added them to our todo list and I hope we will be able to address them later this year.