Share your MAF Calibration

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
skiptownmcat

Re: Share your MAF Calibration

Post by skiptownmcat »

Corksport intake maf cal, I also use a quicker closed loop to open loop timer so have also changed that within the tune so it's the same
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load+cs sri+tip maf cal v1.03.rar
(48.76 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

JUT wrote:
Steve @ VersaTune wrote:Usually the only thing that affects the MAF cal is any change in shape of the pre-maf intake piping or diameter of the MAF housing.
Interesting, after having a 3" TBE fitted my MAF calibration was all over the place and the same occurred recently after fitting the DNP manifold and BNR stage 2 turbo.
Those mods can affect acceleration enrichment. Steady state operation should deliver consistent MAF calibration data.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

When posting, please post your MAF table in .xls or .ods format. The .vtune files are not interchangable between the various vehicle platforms and can not be opened with a copy of VersaTuner licensed for a different platform.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Here is Treadstone 3.5", CP-E 3.25", generic 3", and AEM/Mazdaspeed CAI.

Use these as a starting point. They may contain vehicle specific compensation for things like dirty injectors or possible air leaks.
Attachments
maf cals.xls.zip
(6.65 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Steve, what is the MAF housing diameter on the AEM/Mazdaspeed CAI? it looks like I have to scale my Cobb SRI mafcal even more (with like 3-4.5% more) and it would be nice to have a point of reference.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

I believe it's 2.75" It is a 3" pipe with a reducer insert where the maf sensor is. The AEM/Mazdaspeed CAI table is for MS6.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok, guys, in my search for smoothness I found the ultimate trick.
As you all know the MAF g/s readyngs, commanded versus actual AFR readings, and so on, are delayed or at least not perfectly in sync because of various reasons:
- OBD scan delay;
- takes a while before the actually metered air produces any AFR effect on the lambda sensors in the exhaust;
- sensor voltage variation delay;
- possibly others.

After spending good hours to smooth every new MAF cal I was generating based on the decently high amount of logs I'm taking with every occasion when I need to do this it occurred to me that I need a higher resolution graph. So I imported the MAF V and the MAF g/s from the MAF cal into an Excel sheet and I generated a graph with the MAF V on the X axis and MAF g/s on Y.
Oh man, the graph was full of bumps, twists, sudden increases followed by almost constant and small climbs, and so on! It was looking awful, no wonder that I had to adjust my MAF cal all the time and never got it perfect!
Then I used a trends function, average every 2-3 cells should work fine. I smoothed the values based on that until I've got it smoothed. I also used the new linear interpolation feature in Versatuner to generate a trend of multipliers to make sure the newly generated MAF cal matches some specific transition points that were in the middle of 0 AFR variations or 0 LTFT's for a long time.

I have no tool to smooth my MAF cal somehow else, this is how I worked on it. This isn't a template that you can work on as I did a lot of manual work, there's nothing really automated. If you have a Cobb SRI you can try this MAF cal (the "MAF g/s smooth" values represented by a blue line on the graph).
Attachments
MAF_CAL_20120509.zip
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok, the last Cobb SRI MAF CAL I posted is within -2.3 - +1.4. After another month of work (yeah, one whole month + a few days) I managed to bring it to -1.6 - +0.8. Is that the perfection itself or still needs some light tuning? :) The interval limits will vary with the ambient temps and atmospheric pressure (I'm at about 100.4kPa and now there are +32C), but still the variation interval is very narrow.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
summerblink

Post by summerblink »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:When posting, please post your MAF table in .xls or .ods format. The .vtune files are not interchangable between the various vehicle platforms and can not be opened with a copy of VersaTuner licensed for a different platform.
Hi all, i'm all new to Versatuner and liked to know, does anybody have
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load+cs sri+tip maf cal v1.03 in .xls or .ods format (or can I somehow transform .vtune file?)

I have a Mazdaspeed6 with only CS sri+tip set installed, and I was wandering where and with which tune to start with.
A readymade MAF calibration for my setup surely would be a tasty treat, of course all other ideas would be highly appreciated

Like "Hey n00b, why don't you install the anti-theft tune, it cuts your mpg like anything!" :biggrin
Mazdaspeed6 2006
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The MAF cal is not something particular to a tune. You can import the existing data in the files shared in this thread and add it to your tune.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7