Share your MAF Calibration

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Share your MAF Calibration

Post by mituc »

Hello everybody,

This is supposed to work pretty much like the OTS maps. It's not about spoon feeding, it's just about providing the newcomers with decent MAF calibrations that are known to work decently.
These calibrations, as far as I know, should work in exactly the same way no matter the car model, so we should be able to reuse a, say, Cobb SRI MAF cal from a MS3 owner on a MS6.

Please keep in mind that there are a few reasons why pretty much any car is unique, so is the MAF cal:
- elevation;
- average ambient temperature;
- not everybody's MAF is super uber clean;

So I may have -2/+2 LTFT's with a MAF cal on my car and someone else may get 0/+4 with the same depending on how much dirt is on my MAF or on his, the ambient temperatures differ significantly (more than 10C), and so on.
However, as long as a MAF cal is scaled decently and works on a car, once the receiver car will learn the trims everything should be fine.

For starters, here's my Cobb SRI MAF cal. My fuel trims are in the -1/+3 % range, I tried to fix even these points but it's actually pretty hard to get all the surrounding values scaled as I get 0 LTFT's with those. So I just left it as it is.
The OL part should be like 0.5-1.0 % richer.
All this happens at 0C - +6C as I've got the versatuner in late December and didn't have the opportunity to re-work my MAF cal in +20C weather or more.
Attachments
MAF_CAL_mituc-CobbSRI-20120313.zip
(599 Bytes) Downloaded 1165 times
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Re: Share your MAF Calibration

Post by skiptownmcat »

Excellent idea, I'll upload my corksport sri+tip cal later.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
keridil

Post by keridil »

Hi there,

Here is mine for SURE Aeros without TIP. LTFTs are:
0.0% from 0 g/s to 5.70 g/s.
-3.1% from 5.71 g/s. to 18 g/s.
-0.8% from 18.01 g/s. to 30 g/s.
0.0% from 30.01 g/s. to 70 g/s.
0.0% from 70.01 g/s. to top g/s.

It was done a couple of weeks ago so winter calibration with temperatures from 2º to 12º and I will update it after a new recalibration and I'll finish it for OL.

Cheers.
Attachments
MAF_CAL_keridil-SUREAeros-20120316.csv.zip
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times
Mazda 6 MPS, BPV GFB, RX-8 wheels, B8 + Eibach Pro-Kit, CS 3" SRI, GS EBCS (interrupt), CS 3" TMIC, EGR off, HPFP internals, CS catted downpipe, 3 bar MAP, BNRS3, forged engine and stuff
keridil

Post by keridil »

New version of my MAL calibration, finished by now.

For SURE Aeros without TIP, no test pipe, stock TMIC and no downcat. [Note:] As pointed later all mods no relevant to MAF calibration except the SRI.

I logged it today with 20º and the results for my defined breakpoints are:
  • 0 - 5.7 g/s -> 0 LTFT
  • 5.7 - 18 g/s -> 0 LTFT
  • 18 - 30 g/s -> -1.6 LTFT
  • 30 - 70 g/s -> 1.6 LTFT
  • 70 - 120 g/s -> 0 LTFT
  • 120 - 150 g/s -> 0 LTFT
  • 150 - up g/s -> 0 LTFT
So it's quite good, enjoy!

Cheers.
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load + SURE SRI v1.04.vtune.zip
(44.92 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times
Last edited by keridil on March 26th, 2012, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda 6 MPS, BPV GFB, RX-8 wheels, B8 + Eibach Pro-Kit, CS 3" SRI, GS EBCS (interrupt), CS 3" TMIC, EGR off, HPFP internals, CS catted downpipe, 3 bar MAP, BNRS3, forged engine and stuff
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I wonder if you guys are watching only the LTFT's (which are 0 in OL) or you're looking at the commanded and requested AFR values as well.

P.S.: the other mods such as intercooler, exhaust, whatever, are not relevant for a MAF cal.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
keridil

Post by keridil »

mituc wrote:I wonder if you guys are watching only the LTFT's (which are 0 in OL) or you're looking at the commanded and requested AFR values as well.

P.S.: the other mods such as intercooler, exhaust, whatever, are not relevant for a MAF cal.
Hi there,

I didn't say anything about it, but in OL my lambda AFR values are in a range of +-0.20, normally +-0.10, so they are good to go.

I though that TIP and TMIC affect MAF readings, am I wrong?

Cheers.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Usually the only thing that affects the MAF cal is any change in shape of the pre-maf intake piping or diameter of the MAF housing.
keridil

Post by keridil »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:Usually the only thing that affects the MAF cal is any change in shape of the pre-maf intake piping or diameter of the MAF housing.
Yeah, of course! Excuse me for shutting my brain off! :( I can't believe how stupid was my comment, freaking Sunday.

I was talking about mass air flow (g/s), if there are less restrictions in place my car will breath "faster".

Cheers.
JUT

Post by JUT »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:Usually the only thing that affects the MAF cal is any change in shape of the pre-maf intake piping or diameter of the MAF housing.
Interesting, after having a 3" TBE fitted my MAF calibration was all over the place and the same occurred recently after fitting the DNP manifold and BNR stage 2 turbo.
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
BNR Stage 2 Turbo, DNP Manifold, CP-e Safe Seals, Corksport "RAMAIR" FMIC / Intake, 3" TBE, HPFP Internals, Forge BPV, EGR Delete, VTCS Delete, H&R Springs, Blistein B8 Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, Tuned with Image
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Definitely this.
Also, if the gas you're using has any added methanol (E5, E10) this will have a slight effect on the the LTFT's and the actual AFR's as well. Not that much at this concentration, but if you know you should state what is the E-rating of the gas you were using for your MAF calibration.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7