Methanol tuning

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
donnathemazda

Methanol tuning

Post by donnathemazda »

What exactly needs to be done to make a good methanol tune? What are some things I should look for when datalogging and what should I look at adjusting for methanol?
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - CST5, HPFP, FMIC, CS 3.5" intake, 3" DP, VTA BOV
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Methanol tuning

Post by mituc »

Before anything else I'd say if you don't have any experience with this just hire an e-tuner.

First step is to set your WMi spray trigger points for start/min duty cycle and then for max duty cycle. If you are using boost as a trigger these points may vary depending on your setup, goals, type of turbo, nozzle size, tank size and so on. Usually people start spraying at 10-12-14PSI and go full duty cycle at 14-16-19PSI of boost.

Once you set these you need to work on your MAF calibration. Even though it's an oxygenated substance, methanol or other alcohols you may use in your mix (isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, rubbing alcohol, and so on) are still fuels. So make sure your MAF cal is on point on pump gas, on point enogh so that you can disable the fuel trimming above the load values corresponding to the minimum boost (or MAF g/s, or whatever you are using to trigger the WMI) and then activate the WMI kit. Take a few logs with the pump gas MAF cal and spraying meth at the same time and adjust the MAF cal accordingly. Once this set and you are also happy with the load targets you can start working on your timing tables and increase timing. With WMI you may see 4-7 degrees of timing increase based on the load, RPM point, and so on.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP