Shift related tables

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
Alexey

Shift related tables

Post by Alexey »

Hi there. Has anyone tried experimenting with tables from the Shift Related group. Is it possible to get some increase in performance when shifting gears? Please share your experience :burnrubber
Red MS6 GT - Built Motor Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, 3.25 intake, manzo DP, Autotech HPFP, TR8 intercoller, Forge bypass, BNR S3V4, Blitz coilovers.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Shift related tables

Post by mituc »

I played with those tables a bit. There is no performance increase there, it will only affect the load value and load ramping after shifting to an upper gear. If you WOT shift, the stress on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain will be higher if the values from the shift point are closer or equal to 1.
So after a few years of testing various approaches I decided to leave those values to stock. They are in effect around one second after shifting a gear anyway, and smoother is faster especially on FWD platforms (but even on AWD like 6MPS or CX7 there will be less load corrections after a gear power shift).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

mituc wrote: February 6th, 2022, 10:31 pm I played with those tables a bit. There is no performance increase there, it will only affect the load value and load ramping after shifting to an upper gear. If you WOT shift, the stress on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain will be higher if the values from the shift point are closer or equal to 1.
So after a few years of testing various approaches I decided to leave those values to stock. They are in effect around one second after shifting a gear anyway, and smoother is faster especially on FWD platforms (but even on AWD like 6MPS or CX7 there will be less load corrections after a gear power shift).
If I understand correctly, then changing these tables will help to quickly reach the specified load after switching gears?
Red MS6 GT - Built Motor Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, 3.25 intake, manzo DP, Autotech HPFP, TR8 intercoller, Forge bypass, BNR S3V4, Blitz coilovers.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Alexey wrote: February 8th, 2022, 8:06 am If I understand correctly, then changing these tables will help to quickly reach the specified load after switching gears?
It's a multiplier for the target load in the next gear in that RPM/throttle position point. So it doesn't help and it doesn't stay in the way either, it just is, and you can set it to your preference (you can fill those tables with '1's and that's it - if that's what you want).
Sometimes right after a shift a coefficient of 0.85-0.9 is something that you actually want for a smooth engagement and less stress on the drivetrain. But depends from driver to driver, driving style to driving style. That multiplier is applied for about one second anyway so it basically stops interfering with the load target calculation 0.5-0.7s after you re-engage the clutch.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

mituc wrote: February 8th, 2022, 8:46 am It's a multiplier for the target load in the next gear in that RPM/throttle position point. So it doesn't help and it doesn't stay in the way either, it just is, and you can set it to your preference (you can fill those tables with '1's and that's it - if that's what you want).
Sometimes right after a shift a coefficient of 0.85-0.9 is something that you actually want for a smooth engagement and less stress on the drivetrain. But depends from driver to driver, driving style to driving style. That multiplier is applied for about one second anyway so it basically stops interfering with the load target calculation 0.5-0.7s after you re-engage the clutch.
Thank you!