CorkSport Turbo - Slow Spool

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
JohnnyT

CorkSport Turbo - Slow Spool

Post by JohnnyT »

I have a 07 speed3. I am pretty much finished with my tune "93" but I can not seem to get spool any quicker. My tune is based off the "Base 93US_98EU Octane with High Flow Down Pipe" As you can see from the image I don't hit 21 psi until 6k. Is this normal for a load based tune? I am making good power but a friend of mine has the CS Turbo on AP with boost based tune and he hits 21 right around 3500 and stays there. Is there something I am missing? It seems like I am hitting load target 2.4 "which is what it is set for in my tune" at 3500 with 16psi so it is just not adding more boost? You can see boost build through the pull steady. I don't really know what is safe on stock block or what is normal for a load based tune. Any help would be great. My mods are in my sig.

LOG
https://we.tl/gfEsFZbVO1

VersaTuned - 07 Mazdaspeed3 - CPE Stg2 Pistons, Manley HBeams,Kozmic DP, CNT CatBack, PTE 5862 JB Turbo, DTP Fab Dump, CPE PTE Ex Mani, JMF PI IM, CS 3.5Bar, MAC EBCS, HTP 4" Intake, Trubo XS FMIC
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: CorkSport Turbo - Slow Spool

Post by mituc »

You hit load 2 at 3300-ish rpm after going WOT in 4th at about 3000, about 1-1.2s earlier. The spool is decent actually... If you're on stock block you may not even want more than that, the factory rods may not like it. 60-100mph in 5.3s is pretty good too.

Boost is not necessarily a measure of how the car performs. Load is. And on a stock block load 2.4 is a safe limit as long as you can get it with no load or boost spikes (which you don't have). However, for these long 4th/5th gear pulls 2.3 would be more appropriate in therms of heat especially if you stay above load 2 until the rev limit (which you seem to be doing).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

This is what my load is set for in 3-6. I don't plan to push the stock block any further. I was only curious if this looked correct as I tuned the car myself and did not have any other load based tunes to compare it to. Everyone else I know is on boost tunes. I rarely do these long pulls, mostly for logging. I am happy with where the power is and will likely go built when the time comes. If you have any more advice I would gladly take it. The car feels very smooth and strong. Thanks for the info.
VersaTuned - 07 Mazdaspeed3 - CPE Stg2 Pistons, Manley HBeams,Kozmic DP, CNT CatBack, PTE 5862 JB Turbo, DTP Fab Dump, CPE PTE Ex Mani, JMF PI IM, CS 3.5Bar, MAC EBCS, HTP 4" Intake, Trubo XS FMIC
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The fact that you have a large intake and a FMIC kind of shows, flowing 350-ish g/s of air at only 21PSI is a pretty big deal. With a TMIC and a Cobb SRI I needed 25.5PSI for the same air flow.

As a suggestion by looking at that log - man we have to be very mean to try to find something to that awesomely clean log.
However, there's a chance you can advance more, say 0.75-1 degree at 6000rpm and going progressively up and down (+1.2 at 6500, 0.75 at 5500, 0.5 at 5000, 0.25 at 4500).

Other than that, because you're on a stock block, don't rev it past the factory rev limit (6700) and ideally you should shift at 6400-6500 unless you really need to go higher. The factory pistons ringlands will not like revving that high at such a high load without some cooling (such as WMI, which you could acquire, get a bit more power and significantly more longevity from this engine).

Good luck!
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

I did try adjusting timing more but ended up getting a little knock so I backed down. I am really happy to hear that my self tune looks good. I will be going to an e85 blend tune sometime soon and will post my stuff here as well. Thanks for the input.