Map editing

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: Map editing

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Higher gears tend to creep a bit more due to the slower acceleration.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Yeah, it's a learning curve for me!!
Once I have boost under control would you recommend upping ignition timing maybe .5 in the 3-5k range and see if there is still no knock?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

You'll tend to see knock most often around 4500. Go in small increments like .5 - 1.0 degrees and take lots of logs. Test a hard run after a heat soak. That is pretty much a worst case scenario. Timing is best fine tuned on a dyno. If you haven't already, consider dropping a heat range on your plugs. That will help reduce the risk of high rpm knock.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I've had all sorts of problems with stuttering @wot running the itv22's (gapped at .7mm and no signs of fouling) The last two sets lasted less than 3k each! Running the ngk's in the stock heat range with no problems. Maybe the ht just wasn't aggressive enough to warrant a step colder.

Should I advance through the whole load range or just the higher ones? I suppose small instances of knock be controlled by commanding slightly richer afr's?

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

There is probably room to add a few degrees across the whole range. The base map is pretty conservative.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Got gears 1-5 nailed down, boost never goes over 19.5psi. I was having a problem with a cut in 5th around 4-5k but it's sorted now. Theres an amazing amount of self satisfaction when it all comes together.
I was trying to get 6th where I want it, but it's not worth losing my license over, plus it's not stopped raining here for a week so doing 120mph plus in the wet is rather scary! I have a friend who runs a garage with a dyno, he said he'd let me have it on a Saturday morning for a couple of hours for about £50 so I'll sort it then.

Steve, could you explain in a bit more detail about what to do with the BCS base table please?

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Look at logs to see what BCS DC is actually needed to hit the new load targets. Put that value in the BCS DC base table. The stock BCS DC values are intended to hit the stock load targets.

Log APP, BCS DC, Abs Load, RPM. Look at APP & RPM to get requested load. Compare that req load to abs load to see that you hit your load target and see what BCS DC was required to do so. The ECU adjusts BCS DC to hit the load target, but it's best to have the base as close as possible to hit the load target quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the dyno results! Try cutting VVT advance at high rpm if you have time.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

BCS dc = wg dc??

When retarding vvt, .5deg 5k onwards? should I do it across the board or only at the higher loads? I see on the base tune only a small portion at 5.5k had been changed (advanced)

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Boost Control Solenoid dc / Waste Gate dc same thing.

Try pulling 2* VVT 5000+ then 4*

I was going to test that, but I ran out of time with my last dyno session.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I'll get the BSC right and the ignition timing, then I'll duplicate the map and make the revisions in the vvt and do back to back runs when I get on the dyno. I'm running kmd fuel pump internals so I've upped the pressure targets to 1750psi (12.06mpa) at the higher rpm/loads.