Map editing

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
skiptownmcat

Map editing

Post by skiptownmcat »

I'm trying to edit the 93/98 octane map that steve wrote and was wondering if any other tables need editing other than the ones already done. ie, do I just re-edit the ones already edited? Any guides or reading material I can find is for the accessport so the tables are named differently which is causing confusion.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: Map editing

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I'm working on the rest of the tuning guide now that the tune editor is complete. If you click on the table name, it will give a description of what the table is and what units the table data is in.

The Req load by gear is what is determining the load target in that tune. The ECU uses the lowest of the following: app requested, gear limit, barometer limit, overall limit. The ECU will raise the MAP in an effort to reach the requested load. If you request too high of a load, the MAP will reach the limit set point where the ECU will start to close the throttle and then if needed fuel cut to stop the overboost condition. If you raise the req load by gear, make sure that the app req load is high enough at 100% app to hit that load point.

The spark and fuel are pretty conservative, since it's considered a base tune. There is room to lean the WOT AFRs a bit and add a couple degrees of timing on most cars.

Take some logs with the base tune and make sure that you are not knocking with that. Make small adjustments. Only change one thing at a time and keep all of your previous tunes and logs so you can correlate the changes with the outcomes.

Please let me know if you need more info. I'm happy to help you get acquainted with VersaTuner!
06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

What are your goals?

The tables in Versatune are named differently than they are in ATR, but they are otherwise the same. It took me a while to get used to it as well.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Lacking an authoritative standards body (like ISO or SAE) for table naming, I tried to name them as descriptively as possible. Perhaps someone with experience with ATR and VersaTuner can write a cross-reference.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

06Speed6 wrote:What are your goals?

The tables in Versatune are named differently than they are in ATR, but they are otherwise the same. It took me a while to get used to it as well.
My goals are 280-300whp, which is achievable and also the limit of the ko4. I'm fully bolted so it shouldn't be a problem. The base map said stock dp required so I didn't want to put that on and have an issue then not be able to rectify it.

I'm a bit tentative as to how much I should raise load to remain safe and not sent the turbo spinning off into orbit!
A short 'beginners' guide with some do's and dont's would be a good idea.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

You will need exhaust mods including a downpipe to get 280 WHP from the K04. Raise the load targets in 0,1 or smaller increments until you see peak MAP getting close to your throttle close threshold, or you see BCS DC flatline at 100%. Back off the load target when the BCS DC is at 100% because it's outside of it's efficiency range there. You can usually get a small amount of additional flow at a lower MAP by reducing the BCS DC base at that rpm point to limit max BCS DC there. You will typically see the K04 run out of breath around 4800 - 5200 rpm depending on mods and IATs. After that it's a battle to keep it in the efficiency range.

The DP will cause the base tune to boost spike and may cause fuel cut in cold weather. You can tune for it with the BCS DC Base table and the Requested Load Multiplier tables.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Yeah, I have 3" catted dp, updated tmic, kmd's and corksport intake.
I was just a bit confused with the load thingy:) with psi, it's a unit I can relate to.
Anywho, my tactrix arrived today so first course of action is to uninstall the hypertech, let the ecu relearn the trims and then do a maf cal. Then I'll load the base map (I may reduce the cl to ol ticker time first) and take it from there.

Another question, when editing and you make a mistake and press reset, does that reset to stock value or the value that was originally on the map?

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

It resets the cell to stock.

Load is analogous to volumetric efficiency. It is calculated based on the MAF and the displacement and rpm of the engine. A load of 2.0 means that the engine is flowing 2x the MAF of a normally aspirated engine at 100% VE. And, thus 2x the "load" on the internals and driveline. You will see a load close to 2.0 at lower rpm when boost is around 17 psi - again depending on mods.
06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

Uninstall the hypertec, then install Versatune, then load the map that you want to run, then drive around for ~40ish miles, then do the maf cal if you need one. If the base maf cal is within the stft/ltft trim range, the only thing you really gain is the trims settling faster after a reflash.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:It resets the cell to stock.

Load is analogous to volumetric efficiency. It is calculated based on the MAF and the displacement and rpm of the engine. A load of 2.0 means that the engine is flowing 2x the MAF of a normally aspirated engine at 100% VE. And, thus 2x the "load" on the internals and driveline. You will see a load close to 2.0 at lower rpm when boost is around 17 psi - again depending on mods.

So would you recommend requesting a lower load in the lower gears than you would in 4th-6th?