Map editing

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
skiptownmcat

Re: Map editing

Post by skiptownmcat »

Yeah, back to the point in hand.
When he does the dyno run, he goes to the computer selects the far right of the curve and then changes a value from ~5700 rpm (roller rpm?) to 7000rpm. Every car I've seen there the chart looks the same, all squashed up. I have no reason to doubt them as I know of two people who took there cars elsewhere and got pretty much the same results (plus my mates 350 mountune focus rs only made 327!!)

I'll do a 3rd, 4th and 5th gear wot pull tomorrow so you can have a look, but as I said according to my road logs I'm at full chat by 2500 in 4th.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

On a Mustang Dyno, you hold the car at 3000 RPM in the gear you intend to test in, then click a calibrate button on the dyno console. That calibrates roller rpm to engine rpm.

Generally, the turbo will spool at a lower rpm the higher the gear you are in because the acceleration is slower.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

We don't have that high tech shiz here!!
As I've said, I think the peak figures are right but it's everything else that's off. My car doesn't drive like it shows on the chart. It makes a good slug of low down torque and keeps pulling hard all the way to redline.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

skiptownmcat wrote:Y
When he does the dyno run, he goes to the computer selects the far right of the curve and then changes a value from ~5700 rpm (roller rpm?) to 7000rpm.
That's totally wrong.
They should either connect to your battery cable to read the impulses from the alternator to get the actual RPM, or calibrate the RPM some how by correlating them with the wheel speed.
Or at least print the wheel speed instead of engine RPM and then you can scale it later.

These dynamometers measure the torque, so without an exact RPM reading they can't compute the power correctly. So your friends focus was disadvantaged because it revs higher (up to 7000rpm, so probably like 7350 on the dash gauge), or actually your car was advantaged (it revs up to 6700rpm, that is about 7000rpm on the dash RPM gauge).

So figure, they have a dynamometer and they have no clue how to use it.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

But then people have gone elsewhere and made the same peak power, and my car made bang on power when stock there. I'm not disagreeing with you though, it's just been handy for me to call in unannounced and have a run when I'm passing by (40 miles from my house).

skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

couple of road logs for you to look at please steve,

3rd gear is a non starter, too much wheelspin!!
4th gear, full load @2386 rpm
5th gear made load target@2165 rpm, The load looks the way it does because I had load reduced till 3k but I hit my target of 1.8@2250.

Interested in your opinions please, is my shit fucked?
Attachments
5th wot.zip
(6.39 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
4th wot.zip
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

....anyone??

skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

.....beuller...beuller..anyone?

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I'm glad to see that your knock is under control. You seem to be hitting about 21PSI of boost around 4000-4500rpm (in 4th, where you have the higher load targets as well).

But you're going to be so disappointed about this... Here's your run:

...And here's mine, with hypertech and stock FP, slightly uphill at the end of the 305bhp run:

So unless yours it's slightly uphill... I'm not sure what to say and I started to wonder already what's going to change with my car after I'll throw the HPFP internals in. If I'm going to end up around the same power levels or even lower I'm going to take a PERM and stop playing with fire in my own expense.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Not disappointed at all, 289whp is pretty good seeing as i have still to find mbt. I was driving up a pretty steep hill as well,
I only did it to see if my spool time was ok. I'll post one going down the hill to do an average.
The hypertech graph looks like a spike and very quick drop off, the vt holds it up much better.