Winter Boost Creep - CS Turbo

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
JohnnyT

Re: Winter Boost Creep - CS Turbo

Post by JohnnyT »

I will double check but this is not my first day with righty tighty lefty loosey. I did not need as much force to get it on the flapper as I did to take it off and that should tell me that I added to the length of the arm. I can remove more pre-load tonight and see. I just started working with CS as well and they suggested bypassing the ebcs so I will look at that after I adjust the arm again. Thanks for the info. I will do as you suggested.
VersaTuned - 07 Mazdaspeed3 - CPE Stg2 Pistons, Manley HBeams,Kozmic DP, CNT CatBack, PTE 5862 JB Turbo, DTP Fab Dump, CPE PTE Ex Mani, JMF PI IM, CS 3.5Bar, MAC EBCS, HTP 4" Intake, Trubo XS FMIC
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

https://snag.gy/JCEUcV.jpg

I adjusted the arm some more, I did have it correct. I got it to 0 preload and went 3mm back. The arm is a little more complicated than it needs to be. I will let you know when I get a log.
VersaTuned - 07 Mazdaspeed3 - CPE Stg2 Pistons, Manley HBeams,Kozmic DP, CNT CatBack, PTE 5862 JB Turbo, DTP Fab Dump, CPE PTE Ex Mani, JMF PI IM, CS 3.5Bar, MAC EBCS, HTP 4" Intake, Trubo XS FMIC
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

I took another log but with different parameters to get more visual room. I was going to take one with yours too but I ran out of time. I had adjusted the wastegate more. I could try no pre-load and see what it does. I am going to bypass the ebcs next.
Attachments
Data log - 2018-02-02 11.24.11.csv
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You need to make these logs shorter, or stop as soon as you see WGDC goes to 0 or below 10 during a WOT pull (add an audible alarm on the Versatuner dashboard). If your engine is not built it will not be able to sustain 420-440bhp which is about as much as you're doing now creeping (depends on the timing as well, and most probably you're in the overload with the timing right now).

Also, this last log doesn't have an essential parameter for this issue: WGDC. You should also check with CS and see what they advise.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Oh shit... see if you don't have the same problem as these two guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTJF-7vepk
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

I will watch that video and yeah I know I was not logging wgdc but it was at 0% as I set it to that in the tune. Here is my latest log with the ebcs bypassed. Still creeping. I am talking to CS about it. I also took video of the wg actuating I was not able to set a certain psi but it opened pretty quick. I will have to get a regulator to test it at 14lbs or whatever I need.

https://youtu.be/WPGVQSn8I6M
https://youtu.be/Gb34gW9OGHY
Attachments
Data log - 2018-02-04 08.53.46.csv
(16.72 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok, if it still does it at spring pressure with the EBCS bypassed then there's no way this will work in any way. Good thing you're taking it up to CS, something is weird.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

More updates, I held the wastegate flapper open with a wire and I still built boost, 24 lbs! I think that either it is not opening enough or something else is wrong. I might try and get a small camera to run in the second O2 sensor hole and see if the flapper hits anything. Here is the log, I made some good power though lol.

Attachments
newData log - 2018-02-05 11.11.43.csv
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The only thing left is the wastegate flapper not opening enough because it hits the DP flange/gasket. This used to happen with some poorly designed downpipes. I remember that back in the days Corksport came up with their divorced DP design just to combat this issue.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

After various testing and trying everything I could think of it was still creeping. CS ran out of ideas and told me I should get a CAT which might help. As of now I am not going to worry about it and might just run external wastegate off OEM manifold as I have one laying around.