Help Debugging the High Load OTS tune

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
manselainen

Re: Help Debugging the High Load OTS tune

Post by manselainen »

Is it just me but I have difficulties in opening the logs in excel. They do open but all values go in first column. I have to change file names to eg. .txt and then import in excel.

One interesting thing in 3rd gear log without HT (logis77mtc0383-3rd_pull_1.csv), the values are not updating for seconds??? For example MAF g/s jumps from 31,87 to 240,13 and then stays there for ages... I have not yet checked the other files. Are you logging too many variables or with too high frequency?

MAF cals in tune seem to be in OK area, I mean I have also 5V 400 g/s and 4V 200g/s.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Reported load is subject to MAF cal too. Load is calculated from MAF g/s.

A DP/free flow exhaust and intake will definitely cause the Base tunes to spike. You will need to reduce BCS DC significantly at 2250 and 2500 and reduce somewhat at higher rpms too. Look at what the actual BCS DC is in your logs when actual load = desired load. Put that value in the appropriate cell in the BCS DC table.

HT may not have the load cap unlocked. HT may be trying hard to keep you under load 2.0.
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

@mituc
Seems to be same thing with other log files as well, values are not updating... can't you log with VT? Regarding BCS DC Base values, you can have a look what I have in my tune. Values there are certainly not optimal but at least it's not spiking at low rpms.

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok guys, so here's what I did:
- adjusted the Boost Control -> BCS DC Base table based on what I have in the logs (WOT logs, the WG Duty cycle values I used were for 16.5-19.2PSI of boost, depending on the RPM values - around 14-14.5 for 6000 and more). I don't have any OL logs below 3000rpm so the duty cycle changes I did for the 1500-2500 interval are based on what I had in the logs for that RPM interval at 30% or more APP (the TP was higher as well, so it wasn't just the pedal pressed a bit but also the throttle opened, so I think the WG DC values I have there are usable).
- lowered the requested FRP from 1799 to 1759 in the Fueling -> Fuel Pressure Target 1/2/3 as the difference is not that big and I also know that my pump can hold this pressure just fine. Also lowered the 1799PSI limit for the Fuel Pressure Max by ECT to match the fuel target tables.

I also intend to lower the Load Targeting -> APP Requested Load Normal/Overload by 1 or maybe 2% wherever it's over 1.82-1.84 but leave the per gear req. load values as they are. Not sure if this makes sense as long as I will not have any boost spike and load spikes so this is more like a question - does it make sense or worth considering?
Same question for the Absolute Limits -> Overload Protection Fuel Cut, I was thinking to lower those by 5-8% to bring them under the values listed for the Absolute Limits -> Operating load Limit 1/2.

Here is my tune with what I changed so far, any input is appreciated.

P.S.: maselainen, sometimes the pids are not updating as fast as they are read but what you're seeing there I guess is just a constantly high flow of air entering the engine, maxed out for a few seconds during almost the entire pull.
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load Increased Idle+MAF-CAL v1.04.zip
(44.91 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

1) I have my app req load targets set at the maximum I want and then use the in gear req loads to control it, I have a lower load in 1+2, full load in 3+4 and then slightly lower in 5+6

2) my understanding is that the ecu will use throttle control to not exceed the operating load limit, if it does manage to go past that then the overload fuel cut table kicks in, so I wouldn't change that tbh. You could lower both I suppose but I don't think you would ever reach those values due to the overboost limits which are set lower.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Sassimac

Post by Sassimac »

I find it has been extremely helpful to export the VT log file to a csv and then open it in Excel. This way you can manipulate the data and get a much better idea of what is going on.

For example, I organise the file based on highest to lowest RPM. I then break up that data in RPM ranges, such as 3500-4000 etc. You can then see what is happening very easily.

Try it....
Now not a Beta Tester. Proud Owner of a Personal License.

I use ECU Tools for iPhone to help with Boost & AFR conversions..!!

Mods include: ETS TMIC, K&N Filter and Turbosmart BOV.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Just looking at the tune, you could probably go back to 100% BCS at 1500 and 2000
Your req loads by gear are lower than your app req load@100%, so you will see load cuts (throttle closure)at full throttle as the ecu tries to keep the load below those gear caps.
You could in the ol afr target keep that .796 lambda right out untill 5k then start tapering, that might help with the fp issue as well.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

skiptowncat, by lowering the APP Req load targets by 1 maximum 2% I'll still be above the per gear maximum load targets.
After investigating the logs a bit more I found that I can set the max FRP to 1779 instead of the previous 1759 value (the high load map had it set to 1799 which was even a bit above the overall maximum).

Sassimac, indeed mate, the possibility of saving these logs in CSV is just awesome. You can open them in excel/oocalc, apply corrections, make calculations directly there, or in my case I can write a few PERL or BASH scripts to get and compute whatever I need from them (this is how I put together my MAF cal which I'm going to adjust slightly again based on another log and thanks to the CSV save option it's going to take just a few seconds every time).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

The main look up for the load is app req load, then it tries to keep it below the in gear tables. I would set gears 3-6 to mirror the 100% line on the app req table. Then re-do the BCS base table.

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I was really wondering why are the load targets for the 5/6 gears set to significantly lower values while the stock map has the load targets set higher than gears 3/4 IIRC.

I have a VT log with a few pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th that never caught any low FRP spot, but obviously it got a few lines with load around/above 2 (2.0something). So for now I'll just leave those values untouched and see how my car will perform with these new WG duty cycle values. I'll also try to see if there's any rpm range where I get constant KR at high part throttle and enrich the mixture a bit (or should I take a degree of timing back instead?).

Slowly we're getting there, I had the versatune MAP on my car for 30-35km and then I replaced it after I got scared pretty well of those FRP drops. But I never stopped to like it.
When I purchased the VT there was a form where the customer had to submit the list of mods, it would be really awesome if in time the customers will get some advice on what to change on the OTS tunes to avoid problems. But I guess that will come in time after will be enough tunes in the database.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7