Help Debugging the High Load OTS tune

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
Sassimac

Help Debugging the High Load OTS tune

Post by Sassimac »

From a parameter perspective I would like to see it.

Thanks.
Tuned with Image by Image
Now not a Beta Tester. Proud Owner of a Personal License.

I use ECU Tools for iPhone to help with Boost & AFR conversions..!!

Mods include: ETS TMIC, K&N Filter and Turbosmart BOV.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Help Debugging the High Load OTS tune

Post by mituc »

Here it is.

Later edit: I just noticed that when a tune is shared the author is changed. In case you noticed that as well I just wanted to assure you that it's the original OTS map with no changes.
Even later edit: using the Share function from the tunes list rather than going to Edit -> Share preserves the author. I re-uploaded it.
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load v1.00.zip
(43.18 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The WOT AFR Targets seemed a bit too low to me:
- 2.47% leaner at 4000rpm;
- 4.55% leaner at 4500rpm;
- 6.13% leaner at 5000rpm;
- 8.44% leaner at 5500rpm;
- 9.87% leaner at 6000rpm;
- 8.53% leaner at 6500rpm;
- 6.98% leaner at 7000rpm (we will never get there unless we up the 6700rpm rev limit).

Running almost 4-9% leaner (at 6000rpm the AFR difference is about 0.98) reminded me of that constant light KR I have at WOT between 4000 and about 5000rpm. It may be ok for short pulls but I'm not sure about prolonged fast/hard driving (German Autobahn, track, of even twisty Romanian mountain roads with light traffic as we're pretty wild here, we don't have too many good roads so even less good and beautiful roads with light traffic to have fun on, and when we find one ... yeah, some of us get pretty wild).

So I reverted all those values to stock for now. Now I hope I'll get rid of that constant light KR (0.35-0.7) at WOT between 4000 and 5200rpm.

I also reverted to stock all the values in the OL PT tables that were leaner than stock just to be sure. I left the richer ones in place.

Here's my tune version 1.10 (ten!! :) ).
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load Increased Idle+MAF-CAL v1.10.zip
(45.25 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Not been on here for a while, but anything under 1 KR@wot is fine. I was getting up to 1.5 with the hypertech.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

I think so too but doesn't even small KR slow down ignition timing advance increase as rpm's increase. I would like my logs to be KR-free as well. Today I suddenly got 0,7-1 KR at some areas. Might be due to heat soak as I was idling about 5min between highway runs.

I wonder if it has been studied when it's better to retard timing and when to add fuel. On MSP forum somewhere I have read opinions that making AFR's richer didn't show negatively on dyno. On the other hand they all target some AFR 12 there...

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I was not getting any KR with hypertech (I was getting significantly less PT kr than with the stock tune on the stock car actually) so this is my goal with this new tune as well. Light KR at PT in open loop is ok and sometimes expected as all the aftermarket tunes (and the stock one as well) are designed to get maximum fuel efficiency there (this meaning lean mixture + pretty aggressive advance timing).
While at WOT... any KR is not good. Why get, say, one degree of timing retard when you can pull off half a degree of timing and eliminate the KR, and also light up the mixture sooner and make more power?
Probably anything under 2 degrees or KR is not damaging anything, but it's not efficient.

I was wrong about enriching the mixture back, not by much though, I was getting AFR's of 9.9 :) and that's not that good, my cat is suffering from overheating as far as I can tell (it went up to 860C) :) I'll try to up the lambda values by 5% in that area.

I've also got some kind of hesitation when shift from 3rd to 4th. I checked the dashdaq logs when that happened last time and it looks like the throttle plate was closed down to 16% when that happened. The load just before that was 1.56 or so, so it wasn't a load cut, and it wasn't a boost cut either as with the new BSC DC table I'm boosting over 17PSI only in 5th and 6th.

Later tonight I'll analyse the VT logs as well. Being able to log only 12 pids at a time is killing me. I have no idea how those with a dashhawk are being able to even breath! On the other hand the VT logs seem to be more accurate so I can't use my dashdaq for fine tuning either. :banghead

Here are some relevant logs I took today. They still have a few PID's to figure things out. They are pretty long, I think they may contain up to 10-14 minutes of driving.
Attachments
VersaTuner Logs-20111228-relevant.zip
(278.96 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I'm targeting 11.8 afr to 5k then tapers to 10.9 to 7k with 2.2-1.6 loads and I sometimes see 0.7 KR and sometimes not., I have pulled timing in the areas and it made no difference.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Yeah, probably you need to undo the timing change and enrich it a bit. Maybe you should try a different gas from a different supplier. Bad gas or dirty tanks at the gas station (if you fill from the same gas station most of the time) may cause the symptoms you're seeing.

In the new version of my map I'm targeting AFR 10.6428 at 5k WOT (stock is 10.3194, HL VT is 10.9521). The next ones are closer to stock but still leaner (added 1/3 of the difference between stock and VT HL).
On the other hand you have aftermarket HP fuel pump piston so your pump is capable of sustaining higher FRP, I guess you can run a leaner mixture than someone with a stock pump (like me) and probably obtain about the same cooling effect.

I agree that AFR's around 12 are the best for making power, but with a stock direct injection engine and no additional cooling spray (such as meth) I think there are some other things to be taken into consideration before you get to the "max power" part.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

Just a quick look at pulls file. At 390 secs boost is spiking and fuel pressure drops. You might consider little fine tuning and upgrading HPFP internals. KR seems to be well under control.

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

That was a gear change and then engine braking in the next upper gear (you can look at the actual AFR which goes to 29).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7