New Base 93/98 High Load Tune Coming Soon

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: New Base 93/98 High Load Tune Coming Soon

Post by mituc »

MEW!! :woohooo

Thanks Steve, now I can't wait to put my new HPFP internals in. I'm going to pick them up today.

Later edit: leaner, more timing, increased fuel cut and baro limits in the lower rpm/lower load areas, more ignition retard when the BAT's are high, I love already the increased load targets in the mid rpm range (up to 1.92 - wow!), revised accel/decel tables and VVT advance.
This is a totally different tune which should spike less, squeeze more power and be about as safe as the previous high load tune (I guess even safer when the BAT's are high which should be a good thing for people living in hot areas).

Now, my question is, what changes do you guys think I should do to this tune to make it even more suitable for prolonged hard driving (track days)? Personally (and that's only my noob opinion) I think that at least when having the stock HP pump internals (which at least I will not have anymore in about one month and a half) it may be a bit too lean in the high RPM/load area which is good for drag/street racing but not sure about track. Is the upgraded pump going to provide a better atomised fuel spray to keep the cylinders and pistons cool or should I enrich it a bit even with an upgraded pump? If yes, then how much?
The AFR targets are still in the low 10's (stock is like 9.59 or so and the v1.03 HL tune is at 10.2 - still low enough though).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

There's only one way to find out....
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Copied a couple of tables into my tune
Vvt
Closed loop afr
Part throttle normal and overload
Closed loop timing normal, overload and max.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

mituc wrote: Now, my question is, what changes do you guys think I should do to this tune to make it even more suitable for prolonged hard driving (track days)? Personally (and that's only my noob opinion) I think that at least when having the stock HP pump internals (which at least I will not have anymore in about one month and a half) it may be a bit too lean in the high RPM/load area which is good for drag/street racing but not sure about track. Is the upgraded pump going to provide a better atomised fuel spray to keep the cylinders and pistons cool or should I enrich it a bit even with an upgraded pump? If yes, then how much?
The AFR targets are still in the low 10's (stock is like 9.59 or so and the v1.03 HL tune is at 10.2 - still low enough though).
The HPFP will show it's weakness at peak load/torque, not peak horsepower. It is Cam driven, so it's flow is a function of RPM. Peak load typically occurs at turbo spool up. RPMs are low, so HPFP flow is low. Peak HP occurs at high RPM where the HPFP flow is highest. In logs where you see HPFP pressure drop, you will see it drop right after spool up and eventually (usually) recover at high rpm.

The in-tank pump is electric, so it has a static flow rate which will only be exceeded at high HP operation where fuel flow demand is greatest.

For road racing, the best thing you can do is improve charge cooling. A large FMIC will help. The Intercooler will tend to heat soak from frequent high boost operation and without good airflow from high speed driving. Make sure you keep the turbo in it's efficiency range. You may need to reduce load up high to keep the BATs down.

Increase High BAT/ECT timing reduction if needed to manage knock.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I copied the vvt and ignition timing values from the high load tune as my requested loads are almost the same as the loads in the high load tune. Did some mileage and did a WOT log but felt no difference in low end torque. Checked VD and everything was exactly the same as with my tune without the cam and ignition timing changes. Any ideas why guys?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

The gains were subtle. It depends on air temps too. The turbo is the limiting factor. When it's cold out, this new tune will shine up top whereas the other will not perform quite as well. Down low, they are both nearly identical.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ah, that explains it. Thanks Steve
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

The graphs are up!

The latest Mazdaspeed3 / 3 MPS High Load dyno sheet is up on the VersaTuner website

Enjoy!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

There's some quality work you guys put on this! Congratulations! And I like the peak power past 5600rpm on the high load tune!
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Yeah the stock torque drops like a brick after 5500. The high load tune really extends the power band, and the big torque increase down low makes it fun to drive too.