A question of timing?

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
skiptownmcat

A question of timing?

Post by skiptownmcat »

I have been slowly advancing ignition timing in the base table and am now getting close to some of the max values, should I adjust the max values as well? Perhaps 3-6k, 1.6 load upwards? or just across the whole table?
Am I right in thinking that it starts at the base value and increases to the max value as you accelerate?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Rich990

Re: A question of timing?

Post by Rich990 »

from what i read elsewhere on here it starts at the base and increases to the max value, if/when if picks up knock it then pulls back.

I could be/ am probably wrong.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

As far as I can tell from looking at the code, it increases towards max timing under steady state operation. Under acceleration, it will likely only use the base table. Be careful tuning timing aggressively during cold weather. When things heat up, it may start knocking. You may want to increase the high BAT/ECT timing retard to compensate.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

11c ambient temps today, will probably be around the same till April. It's also around half way between summer and winter temps so should not be too bad when things heat up.
I might just increase the last 3 lines in the max table half a degree and the 2+ line by a full one and see how that goes.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:As far as I can tell from looking at the code, it increases towards max timing under steady state operation. Under acceleration, it will likely only use the base table. Be careful tuning timing aggressively during cold weather. When things heat up, it may start knocking. You may want to increase the high BAT/ECT timing retard to compensate.
What if the base values exceed the max values?

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

I believe it starts high and goes down towards the "Max" value.

The Max name may be a bit of a misnomer in this scenario.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

It does at the lower loads, but at the higher loads max is more than base.

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Right. I was referring to the scenario you described above.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Hmm, so if there's no knock with the base I could put the max value the same?

Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Do you not want it to increase under steady state operation when no knock is present?