Newbie with no tuning experence

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
adaptle

Newbie with no tuning experence

Post by adaptle »

Hi all,

I took the plunge today and waiting on my download link etc, been on and off the forum trying to read up and a keen member of the MPSowners forum. My tactrix cable arrived Wednesday, I wasn’t going to buy the software as been waiting on my corksport intake/tip and airbox to arrive but they are out of stock till mid feb by the sounds of it and couldn’t wait to check out versatuner any longer. I must start with I have no tuning experience what so ever and infact this is my first turbo car or any car for that matter that I have tuned. Yes I have installed exhausts/ intakes etc to my previous cars but never had a map/tune.

So far the forum has been really helpful, and I am all ready on following the advice to clean the MAF sensor (spray brought this week) and get cracking! Question is first do I leave putting on a highload tune until my intake turns up to then get all my Air flow calculations together or can I just get started now and redo it all again? Also I am shortly going to remove the 2nd cat removed and have a exhaust system put on (leaving standard downpipe) again do I need to consider this prior to putting any tune on? I can wait if needs be.

I am not after massive figures (around the 300bhp mark would be great) as to be honest I don’t want the added expense that comes with it, IE downpipe, FP etc.. 6 month old daughter to spend my money on lol.

Thanks in advance for your help :burnrubber
manselainen

Re: Newbie with no tuning experence

Post by manselainen »

I don't have so much experience either, but I would load HL map, make MAF cal and start from there. When your new intake arrives, you'll have to redo MAF cal anyway. You want to keep eye on fuel pressure, boost spikes and knock retard, although I think with new base HL tune you won't have these issues. But how long is base tune enough...
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

UK guys taking over!!
You can stick the high load straight on with no worries, no need for maf cal with the stock air box. I wouldn't go changing anything until you have other mods. As soon as you put the intake on you'll need to do the maf cal. You may be able to raise loads a touch with a test pipe but probably best to see what steve reckons.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

Install high load tune then after a few miles do some logs to see how it looks... You could easily do a quick maf cal but waiting for your bits is best before doing too much.

Welcome aboard by the way :beertoast
BNR stage1, 3" Downpipe w/200 cell, Autotech HPFP, Cpe TMIC, Cpe 3" SRI, HTP 3" tip, Amsoil filter w/Prefilter, GoFastBits BOV, Grimmspeed interrupt, NGK iridium IX, Snow Stage 2 meth w/Aquamist parts, Sure Juggernaught, Cpe diff brace.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

kevstewart wrote:Install high load tune then after a few miles do some logs to see how it looks... You could easily do a quick maf cal but waiting for your bits is best before doing too much.

Welcome aboard by the way :beertoast
Stock intake = stock maf cal
You only need to calibrate with aftermarket intakes.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

It's still worth verifying that your trims are in line and OL desired AFR = actual AFR. Just as a safety check in case something is loose or leaking.
adaptle

Post by adaptle »

lol yep starting to lose me already. Well when I get the software link I will take a ganders :)
Cheers for the warm welcome can always count on the mpsoc lot!
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

P.S.

:welcome

:)
adaptle

Post by adaptle »

Well done 2 4th gear runs. 1st go out left the logging running on my drive to work. What a error that was, pain to work thru. This time had my father in law hold the laptop this time so no long out for a drive runs this time. Instead scared him half to death!! He is over 60 so you have to let him off!

Still having blue screen issues, did 4 runs in total but 2 bluescreened on me again! Using my work laptop next time.

Car pulls well will try to see if these runs are any good for a virtual dyno effort. Anyone able to help on that?
Pressume the data columns is time = time (S) rpm = engine rpm. But lost on what the others should be, can someone please let me know.

How does it look?

Cheers all :beertoast
Attachments
1st run.zip
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
2nd run.zip
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Logs look good, hardly any kr. they're pretty useless in virtual dyno as the start is missing.
Attachments
dyno.jpg
dyno.jpg (179.4 KiB) Viewed 15246 times