What changes in the tune when going big turbo?

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
manselainen

Re: What changes in the tune when going big turbo?

Post by manselainen »

I appreciate that you develop the fine product further. ^ Soon 70 maps flashed and not a single hiccup.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
OMISPEED3

Post by OMISPEED3 »

Hello guys!

I got questions about how the BCS DC works, Why my WCS DC go up to 20% when my BCS DC is clear out all to zeros??? It not supposed to open the WG?? I checked my EWG diaphragm and it looks good. It always open at 12.5 psi of boost. I'm using a 3 port grimmspeed EBCS.

I just feel lost!
Tuned with Image
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I think this is how this works:
- if the commanded BCS is too small the ECU will try to hit the load target. Depending on the corrections table this may happen pretty slow and the load target will most likely never be hit if the difference is too big (say, you need BCS 60% and you command only 20 - if you need 60 and command 55 that's perfectly fine, it's within the normal variations due to weather/ambient temps/altitude variations/etc);
- if the commanded BCS is too high the ECU will try to close the wastegate accordingly and then will try to correct the BCS to lower the load down to the target.

Long story short, this works like this: BCS DC table -> BCS Load corrections table -> per gear Load Targets tables.

So if you're commanding, say, 0% BCS then most probably you will boost around the WG spring pressure, but not exactly the spring pressure but a bit higher depending on how much time the ECU has to correct the BCS to eet the load target. I guess it has more time in the upper gears so you should see higher BCS values in that area.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The BCS DC will adjust anywhere from +20% to -100% to try to meet the load target. The gain rate of this adjustment is set in the BCS DC Adjustment Load Target Correction. There are other tables related to this that we will expose soon.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:The BCS DC will adjust anywhere from +20% to -100% to try to meet the load target. The gain rate of this adjustment is set in the BCS DC Adjustment Load Target Correction. There are other tables related to this that we will expose soon.
Like the rate at which it adds or subtracts?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

yes