Flashed the base 93/98 for high flow DP today

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Flashed the base 93/98 for high flow DP today

Post by mituc »

Ok, so today I removed Hypertech and I will probably never install it back on my car. It is an astonishing tune but it will not be able to accommodate my mods anymore.
Instead I flashed the Base 93/98 for high flow Down Pipe tune. I made a few changes to the fuelling section (enriched the WOT and PT OL tables a bit and made them just 30% the difference over the stock ones, especially past 4000rpm) and it's pretty good.
Can't compare with hypertech just yet because I didn't do any WOT pull, but it's good. Also it seems to be a bit smoother than hypertech boost wise. The transitions between gears are also smoother, with hypertech I was doing a lot of foot work on the acceleration pedal to make the quick gear changes smooth and comfortable for the passengers, while with this tune I don't really have to do it anymore (even if the habit is there as I did this for quite a while now, about 45k km).

I'm also spinning wheels with less APP but I'll have to adapt.
I went for this tune because all I want is to prepare myself for what's to come, make sure the MAF cal is perfect (my MAF cal is generally within the -1/+1 range, but there are a few spots with +6/+7 values which I'm going to address), and so on. I'm still not sure that the revised version of the high load tune will not run me into any fuelling issues as I had with the first version and that's just because I still need to learn how to tune the wastegate opening with this new downpipe (the values from the current tune seem to work well though).

I'll do a few WOT pulls soon just to compare with hypertech and tell you guys if this can be a direct replacement for Hypertech or if it needs more work to be done.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Flashed the base 93/98 for high flow DP today

Post by mituc »

Next thing I'm going to do is to address the light knock issue in the 2000-3000 rpm interval by pulling back 0.3 degrees of timing in that range at load values between 0.4-0.6 (closed loop). I'm usually getting 0.35-1.75 degrees of timing retard there and I hate pretty bad the retard values higher than 0.7.

For some reason my MAF cal is a bit off in the 2.6-3.0V (positive LTFT's of 5-6%).

Did not go WOT yet, it's pretty hard to now at +3C and soak wet roads.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Keep us updated with how it performs.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I definitely will. So far this map makes my daily driving smoother than hypertech which so far, at least for me, it was the God of smoothness. Until now! :)
I'll probably flash the new version tomorrow with the latest timing and MAF changes and if I'm lucky I'm going to go WOT on Wednesday.
And if I'm even luckier I will have a week to play with this map and my new summer tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport, ordered from the US as Michelin Europe doesn't make them in 225/40/r18!) and see how is it all working with less wheel spin or at least with less chances to spin the wheels.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I got the first bone dry day here in ages last week and managed to go WOT in 3rd, there was the tiniest smidge of spin but mainly being pinned in my seat. It was epic, I couldn't stop grinning!!

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

Spring is coming here as well and sun is shining... As it's warmer now, I started to play with E85 and ignition. A little KR -> more E85 -> more ignition advance -> a little KR again -> more E85 .... So far I'm only at E25 so just in the beginning. Won't go past E50 however. Got yesterday nice VD figures, 326hp@4656rpm & 521Nm@4206rpm with CF 1,01. I hope they'll repeat :)

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I went out today for some logs to make my current MAF CAL even better (it's already in the 0-2% area, so positive, and I'd rather make them negative).
So I went WOT a few times and I experienced that high load + FRP drop (load went to 2.13 and FRP to 1200psi) during a gear shift. Knowing that this may happen I was shifting slower this time, but it looks like during very quick shifts this may still happen (I can shift under 0.4s without the NLS option which I'm not actually using yet, as I have my own Partial Lift Shift technique).
I am going to increase (eventually reset to stock) the req load multiplier in the previous-6000rpm--current-4500rpm zone for the 4th gear and eventually the other gears. I already reset to stock the BCS DC adjustment values up to 0.0811 and set to -0.23% , -0.27 and -0.35% the last 3 values when the load target is overshot.
I also intend to lower the APP req load values in the upper area (APP over 90%) by 0.05 or so and this may play a role in the shifting problem as well.

So next time I'm going to flash the new MAF cal and these new changes in the boost control area. Apart from this minor glitch when shifting (which I experienced at a considerably higher level with the high load map) this map is very good and smooth.

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

Later edit: is there actually any reason why the APP req. load values are even almost 0.15-0.18 higher than the per gear load limits? This can be seen in the stock tune as well, but the difference is less than 5% (0.05).
Last edited by mituc on March 11th, 2012, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok, so I'm going to flash this new version sometime tomorrow or Tuesday. I also re-did my MAF cal, it should be close to perfection now :) The imperfect thing about it is that I was taking logs when the ambient temps were hear freezing (+1 - +4C), so I'll probably end up with some negative LTFT's when the weather will warm up.

I also scaled a bit more consistently the values that never show up in my logs. Not sure if the guys at Stratified will use an existing MAF cal for my intake (Cobb SRI) or use mine so at this point I'm not sure if my efforts matter. But I'll find out soon.
Attachments
Base 93US_98EU Octane High Flow DP v1.06.zip
(43.23 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Flashed it, put around 70km on it already, and also took some logs. Looks like I missed a few low load spots in the 3000-3500rpm area where I should have pulled like 0.2 degrees of advance and got 0.15 and even 0.7 degrees once. In all other areas kr is completely gone.
The new MAF cal is smoother but still not perfect. I'm going to start re-scaling it but I need to alter a few points of reference, eventually re-evaluate them based on the logs I took today.LTFT's after learning were between -2.3% and +3.1%. Really need to correct the positive LTFT areas.
Did not go WOT yet, just part throttle, however the highest absolute load seems to have hit 1.5. For some reason the versatuner log viewer reports the max load 1.706, but I opened the CSV log and did a MAX() on the abs load column and it wasn't there (bug?).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

It has to do with the handling of time stamps. CSV expects a row of data for each time stamp. We timestamp every PID individually, so the CSV ends up with some imterpolation between data points. Some sharp peaks and valleys may be chopped off in the process. The VT log contains the actual data points.