Knock at Part Throttle

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
OMISPEED3

Knock at Part Throttle

Post by OMISPEED3 »

Hey Guys!

I have been seeing randomly knock at part throttle, sometimes is 0.35°, 0.70°, 1.05° to 8.0° and then it goes. I have no idea what is causing it. It just at part throttle. I attached some logs cruising from 1st gear to 5th. The log (Cruising) is in 5th gear. Can someone drive to correct this.

Best Regards,

-Luis-
Attachments
VersaTuner Logs.zip
5 logs inside the zip
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Tuned with Image
skiptownmcat

Re: Knock at Part Throttle

Post by skiptownmcat »

I have this quite a lot, it's nothing to worry about. You can minimise it by checking nothing is rattling in the engine bay, mine was greatly reduced by tightening the ic shroud but it is still there.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The part throttle knock retard should not be higher than like 1.05-1.4 degrees. However, you have noisier pistons and that may amplify it under some circumstances, but 8 degrees... is huge.

All the KR values you have in those 4 ignition logs are normal. Don't worry about anything below 2 at PT. However, in that cruising log we have a huge KR which lasts like for ever and it's under minimal load/boost, even engine braking or close to that. So I think it's something loose banging against the IM or cam cover or in that area, or even something resonating from the other corners of the engine (clutch, some engine mount).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
OMISPEED3

Post by OMISPEED3 »

I really don't know if that could be the timing chain, because my car has 100,000 miles and I never change it. I'm just curious because is randomly, sometimes is less.

Sent from my Classic EVO!
Tuned with Image
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I used to see 8 quite a lot then I tightened the shroud and put some very thin foam between the intercooler and it. I only see 1-4.5 degrees now and the frequency is a lot less.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
OMISPEED3

Post by OMISPEED3 »

Another thing is, I didn't hear a thing when KR was happening.

Sent from my Classic EVO!
Tuned with Image