ECU calibration and OTS tunes

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
Cyberdutch

ECU calibration and OTS tunes

Post by Cyberdutch »

Hi People,

My name is Toni and i live in the Netherlands.
I purschased VersaTune for tuning my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 BK.

Goal is to smoothen the power- and torqueband and tune it up a little bit.

Mods are;
Autotech HPFP internals
Corksport SRI with silicone TIP
Corksport stage 2 RMM
GFB response TMS BOV
Solid shifter bushings

I have a question about the OTS tunes

My ECU is showing a ECU calibration starting with L39R
Some OTS tunes in VersaTune are showing ECU calibration L39S

Am i running into problems flashing a OTS L39S tune to my L39R ECU?

I really appreciate your input.

Regards, Toni
True Red 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Mods; Autotech HPFP internals, Corksport SRI with silicone TIP, Corksport stage 2 RMM, GFB response TMS BOV, Solid shifter bushings, Denso ITV22 sparkplugs @ 0.66mm, Blocked EGR pipe and removed EGR DTC.

Tuned with Image by Image
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: ECU calibration and OTS tunes

Post by mituc »

The tunes in their downloadable form are just some data files which contain the table calibration information/values.
As long as your versatuner can load a tune and can flash it there is no problem.

Now, about the 3MPS BK/Mazdaspeed3 gen1 ECU calibrations you see there... Those are just versions of the ECU firmware. The ECU logic is pretty much the same and the ECUs are identical, but the firmware inside may differ depending on when the car was released and how many ECU updates got at the dealer. So you may see L33X, L35H, L39R, L39S. However versatuner will know how to work with all these ECU calibrations and will write the table values inside the ECU memory accordingly.

P.S.: now that you have fuel pump internals your car can be tunes quite a bit above what the OTS tunes provide... so at least go for the high load tune from the very beginning.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

@Mituc, Thanks for your clear explanation.

I have flashed the Versatune software succesfully to my ECU.
First tried the base 93US/98EU Octane OTS tune.
All went well, so i flashed the Base 93US/98EU Octane High Load OTS tune. I have driven the car normal for about 50km and tried making some higher boost. That went well too so tried some wot after that.
Boost went up at 20psi for a brief moment before setteling at 17.5psi average. HPFP pressure is 1800psi average.
Actual AFR is going to 11.1 at WOT and LTFT is within -1.6 and +1.6 at normal operation and off coarse 0 at wot.

I did see knock retard at boost, 1.74degrees KR at 3th gear in boost and up to 3degrees KR just after releasing the accelerator pedal. That 3 degrees KR is a bit too much for my reassurance. :bigeyepop
see attached log.
I have new Denso ITS22 sparkplugs gapped at 0.66mm (0.026inch).

The attached log is a 3th gear and shifting to 4th gear wot log.
Attachments
Data log - 2020-11-28 13.08.00.csv
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Mods; Autotech HPFP internals, Corksport SRI with silicone TIP, Corksport stage 2 RMM, GFB response TMS BOV, Solid shifter bushings, Denso ITV22 sparkplugs @ 0.66mm, Blocked EGR pipe and removed EGR DTC.

Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

Flashed the 93US/98EU octane again. Will log for KR. Reporting back soon..

Thanks in advance for all input..

Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

Drove around today with 93US/98EU Octane OTS base tune. After the parameters had settled in, i tried some WOT runs. It seems the boost is more constant at only 1psi less (17psi) than high load tune where i had a higher (20psi) boost spike at the start and going down to 18psi during the rest of the run. KR went down significantly to about 1 degree. And some WOT runs there was no KR at all.

I had some wheelspin during the high load tune wot runs yesterday. Could that be causing KR of 3 in my logs?

Someone?

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Wheel slip, wheel angle and bumps will always induce ignition retard which you will see in these logs as "knock" retard. On cars with stiff suspension, stiff engine mounts or even high tire pressure you may see KR from the road noise.

At this point I'd make sure your spark plugs are how they should be: 0.7mm gap, ideally but not necessarily one step colder. But most probably the retard you see in the logs is TC/ESP/DSC related. Funny thing is that sometimes traction control is in action and you can't even feel it from the car, and the light on the dash comes on only in extreme situations.

P.S.: later edit, I just saw that you've mentioned you have Denso ITV22s gapped at 0.66mm, these are ok.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

Mituc,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, Denso ITV22 at 0.66mm should do the job :biggrin

Wheelspin was most certainly there at the high load tune log. I guess i will try that high load tune again when the roads are a bit dryer.
About TC/ESP/DSC, i have disabled SWAS in the software, but i also have a SWAS switch at my steering colomn. I may disable SWAS manually wich also disables TC and switch DSC to off while logging. Maybe than i get a more reliable log to analyse..

Will report back after my findings,

Thanks again :burnrubber

Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

Not fallen asleep here.
Still shitty roadconditions here. :banghead
Lots of snow coming, looking forward to spring to make some decent logs :drive

Cyberdutch

Post by Cyberdutch »

Finally the weather is clearing up. So time for some spirited driving :biggrin2

Attached a 4th gear wot log with the Base High load 93us/98eu ots tune. Mods in my sig.

I notice some strange fuel rail pressure behavioure. I have smooth shift anebled so i might have to do with that. But most of the time the fuel pressure is dropping as soon as i let go of the gaspedal. But after en WOT pull the fuel rail pressure stay high for a moment before dropping.
Could that be because of the enabled Smooth Shift option?

Further some knock a cannot find any reason for. Maybe you guys can see something in the log?

Reverted back to the base 93us/98eu ots tune. will make some logs there too.
Attachments
high load 98eu VersaTuner WOT Log 24022021.zip
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Your log doesn't look that good. During that 4th gear pull did you notice any wheel slip up to about 5000rpm, or was the pull done on a bent road? It looks like traction control was working a bit considering how irregularly the engine speed is increasing but I'd rather ask you if you felt anything.

About the fuel rail pressure, its progression is normal and when you let off the acceleration pedal that fuel needs to go through the pressure relief valve, so you may see a short fuel rail pressure spike when that happens.
The fuel rail pressure target varies with load and RPM so it's normal to have smaller FRP values during low load or engine braking situations.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7