2.3 non turbo map?

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
2.3mzrmiata

2.3 non turbo map?

Post by 2.3mzrmiata »

Hello all,
I've looked around on this site trying to find information for a non turbo 2.3 Map. I've installed a 2010 Mazda 5 2.3 engine in my 2006 NC Miata that originally had a 2.0 Mzr.
The car starts and runs great but I will be endurance racing so want to be sure the engine is running optimal. I need a base map so I can run it to start a base logs.

I have used aftermarket controllers in the past that have their own logging function.
I am unsure if the Oem ecu has the capability of keeping logs or do I need to keep my laptop plugged in to store the logs. I don't use a dyno, so driving around with a laptop strapped into race car is annoying .
Also, is the Oem o2 sensor adequate or can the ecu read a wide band?
I was concerned when I chose versatuner because I knew it was going to be a new learning process but I hope to get acclimated
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: 2.3 non turbo map?

Post by mituc »

Ultimately Versatuner's ability is not to tune an engine, but to tune the ECU software. So it comes down to what ECU do you actually have now in your car Once that is done you can start from the factory 2.0MZR tune. Basically both 2.0MZR and 2.3MZR are almost identical... both PI, both the same set of sensors... the 2.3 only has a longer stroke and larger bore which you will have to take into account when maximizing the engine efficiency through timing.
And yes, all the OEM sensors are ok.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
2.3mzrmiata

Re: 2.3 non turbo map?

Post by 2.3mzrmiata »

mituc wrote: September 5th, 2022, 7:34 am Ultimately Versatuner's ability is not to tune an engine, but to tune the ECU software. So it comes down to what ECU do you actually have now in your car Once that is done you can start from the factory 2.0MZR tune. Basically both 2.0MZR and 2.3MZR are almost identical... both PI, both the same set of sensors... the 2.3 only has a longer stroke and larger bore which you will have to take into account when maximizing the engine efficiency through timing.
And yes, all the OEM sensors are ok.
Thanks for the response. This is my 3rd swap from a 2.0 to a 2.3 or 2.5 . The others weren't race cars so it was fine running as it was bit now I'm looking to tune optimal fuel and timing for this race car to get the most from it