Few questions on what's next

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Few questions on what's next

Post by mituc »

If you could post some pictures of the said capped coolant lines... maybe it's just a TB coolant bypass.

As for the oil consumption... you should do a compression and leak-down test. Usually these say what's wrong, or at least narrow down the causes quite a bit.
If you're low in compression then the only thing you can do is to use some oil flush cleaner and clean as much gunk as possible, gunked piston rings may lead to low compression. In the meanwhile also check the PCV, you may need to pull the intake manifold for that, blocked/gunked PCV may cause a lot of oil to come back into the intake and then into the cylinders where it burns.
Let your car idle for 15-20 minutes, see if there's any white smoke coming out of the exhaust. If it does it's also possible that your turbo is using some oil.
All the oil consumption issues are masked by the factory catalythic converters. So if you see the oil disappearing don't trust the fact that the car doesn't smoke. It does but you can't see it.

So check all the above and then we'll see. At this point I would not spend too much money on tuning parts,get the car fixed first.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
randylawl

Post by randylawl »

Well I got the intake all off to put on the turbo inlet pipe. I'll link some pictures of the coolant lines that I could get. The one is plugged, and the two going to the throttle body are going to the black coolant pipe and the stem on the head.

It looks like I've got bigger problems though, at the moment. My turbo has shaft play and definitely needs replaced. :banghead

http://imgur.com/a/kb3KD here's the album of pics.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

That coolant line seems to come from the EGR to the throttle body.
Other than that, I' sorry for your turbo, it kind of explains why it was working so hard. If you want to fix this right you can get a BNR S3 and autotech fuel pump internals leaving everything else stock and of course keeping the intake (maybe a 2nd cat delete) and the car will move pretty well.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Corksport also offers drop-in turbo and HPFP upgrades.
randylawl

Post by randylawl »

^ These were the two I've been looking at all night. I think once I have the money for it I'll go with the CS just because it comes with all the stuff to just drop in. That's a lot of $$ though.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Depending on what you want to do, you can just go with a new factory turbo for about $1100 or so.
But since you want to tune your car just take advantage of this situation because it doesn't happen every week, in case you change your mind :)
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
randylawl

Post by randylawl »

I think at this point if I have the choice between one of two awesome better turbos both priced at 1100 or a stock replacement for the same price, you and steve can enjoy the next several weeks/months of me not asking noob questions, then hold on to ya butts cause once I have the funding I'm gonna need some tuning guidance! :bow
randylawl

Post by randylawl »

Update about my current situation:

I finally got all the parts needed to assemble my own corksport stage II intake. The only difference from the actual product is the 45 degree silicone elbow is from ebay rather than CS, but it's nearly identical and doesn't appear to collapse or anything. I bought the TIP and the MAF housing from a facebook parts group member. Reused filter. Everything is nice and tight.

The main thing here is that my scary suspicion about the previous intake was correct. It's two tubes with one tack-welded inside the other one, which allows air to escape around the outside of the inner tube and thus around the MAF. My roommate has pics of this as well as a part number, I will be doing some research once I receive those from him as to where it came from so people can avoid it in the future, and I will post some scary pictures.

After installing everything, and replacing the 4mm tube from the ebcs return to the intake (needed a longer hose to reach) I can now safely say my knock is no more than .7 at any WOT point and that's only in areas where the ecu hasn't yet corrected the AFR to desired, i.e. not in any of the areas I saw before, where they generally matched the same 'shape' between different runs and different KR readings. Knowing there was air passing the MAF unmetered, and knowing the ecu relies heavily on calculated load as it did in my mustang cobra, I guarantee this is related to all of my past troubles.

I have a question now regarding shaft play. I initially thought my turbo is done, and I'm sure it is as the car uses oil over time, but it still has both stock cats so it never smokes. Today after reinstalling and logging several times on different tunes, I looked up shaft play and it seems maybe the k04 isn't 'toast' with moving around shaft play, but rather with 'side to side' i.e. movement from intake to exhaust side and back. So, based on this, my turbo is about 3/4 done, maybe has some bad seals, but looking at my boost it's now going up then tapering down like it should, so it might have enough life to last until I get a job or convince my friend to buy me a new turbo. I honestly didn't think to check side to side until it was all together today, but I don't think that was bad or I'd have noticed it when I checked last time.

The big plus is I can run the high load tune now. The car is hella quicker, I think it hit 19 psi at one point so maybe that's out of efficient range but I'm very trusting of the versatune targeted load numbers. Should I start looking at Duty Cycle and start raising my a/f to even 11.0 levels at WOT? Apologies for no logs, I will get some soon. The WOT AFR goes down flat to the mid tens which seems to match commanded now pretty well.

Regardless, decided now it's the CS turbo unless I find a super good deal online first. Ultimate goal is 13.0 quarter mile. I'd be happy to reach that.
randylawl

Post by randylawl »

Here a pic of the intake I took off. As you can see, you should be careful when buying cheap aftermarket stuff lol I'm glad I wasn't the person who put this on the car and it's been replaced. More pictures at http://imgur.com/a/aUZIJ
Attachments
Optimized-20161108_133115.jpg
Optimized-20161108_133115.jpg (508.48 KiB) Viewed 14385 times