Guardian Angel compatability

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
Juschiln19

Guardian Angel compatability

Post by Juschiln19 »

ok so I'm replacing my turbo and going bnr s4. but i'm on stock block and its my dd. so the thought of a secondary safety device to prevent the turbo from blowing my pistons to the moon in the event of over boosting. And with stock block this seemed like a no brainer... but i'm thinking the versatuner tunes off load logic. and not by boost psi like ap. so with the ap. if you were running 19 psi and it spiked to anything above 20psi the guardian angel would save you a$$. but with versatuner doesn't that mean that to get to a certain load value. versa might have the turbo spool to 22 or 25 psi but go back down as needed for to hit load value. but with that said doesn't that mean that the guardian angel would have to be set to such a high psi that the car could still over boost? if say it went to 25 psi when it should only be at 17 or 19 in that part of the load tune.(meaning normally it should be a 19psi at that rpm on that tune. but say if a bov or bcs hose disconnected and its overboosting in too low of a rpm. where it could hit that number no problem later in the rpm on that tune). so there for its over boosting but if I set the guardian angle to 19 so it wouldn't let it do that then it also wouldn't allow it too go past that in the later rpm's when its perfectly safe?

I know there is a secondary switch to have a secondary trigger. is there a way to hook up the secondary trigger to versatuner in a way where when versa or the ecu rather detects over boosting and initiates fuel cut that it can also do the secondary trigger for the guardian angel. im gathering everything for my build now and want to know what need to do. so when I get to that point I know what I need to do... thank I appreciate the advice!!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Guardian Angel compatability

Post by mituc »

The air amount (as well as other things, such as detonation, heat, and so on) blows pistons, blocks or bends rods, not the actual boost. So tuning for load is a lot safer than tuning for boost.
However, exceeding a certain amount of boost in all conditions is an indication what the air amount is well past what the engine, the fuelling system or other sub-subsystems can handle so I totally recommend a GA. I have one as well and just to be sure I do not exceed the fuelling capabilities of my setup I've set it to like 31PSI (where I should be at about 105-107% IDC while fully spraying meth (the boost limit is a lot lower if the in tank meth level sensor indicates a low reading).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The ECU logic has Load Limit fuel cut and Boost Limit fuel cut safety measures. They use two different sensors, so it's fully redundant.
https://www.versatuner.com/article/mazda-mzr-disi-23l-turbo-ecu-safety-features
If you want a tertiary safety device, GA is the way to go.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The Guardian Angel comes in very handy in these situations:
1. in a high-flow and/or BT setup where the turbo can creep for some reason (the GT/GTX3071 are known to creep with catless 3" exhausts when pushed past 28-29PSI). I've seen creep on stock turbo as well even if it was creeping around 22-23PSI (catless 3", blown EBCS hoses, and so on).
2. when using meth and the meth kit also has an alarm wire for either pump malfunctioning, low meth level, and so on, as you don't really want to boost up to 30PSI with the meth kit being the only thing fuelling your engine for the last 5PSI and supplying the octane increase for the extra 8 degrees of timing.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP