• Mazda 6 MPS • UK member

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
kevstewart

• Mazda 6 MPS • UK member

Post by kevstewart »

Ok so I've took the 'plunge' and sold my hypertech and going the Versatuner option!
Got my tactrix cable and awaiting the email with the download....

Current mods are:
Cpe TMIC, Cpe SRI, Cpe TIP, Turbosmart BPV, second cat removed, standard sized stainless steel exhaust, grimmspeed ebcs in 2-port mode...
I've got some KMD fuel pump internals as a precaution, not too sure if I'll need them as I ain't wanting to go too wild, just wanting to get my car running sweet!
I would ideally like to get my grimmspeed set up in 3-port mode too.
Stock downpipe with no plans to change that too, I have considered upgrading to a 3" exhaust system but not sure if it would be worthwhile for what I'm after.

I've got dashhawk and boost gauge installed so I'll be able to see what's happening.

What map would you suggest me using as a starting point?

Been on the dyno a couple times, making 267 bhp and 272 bhp so looking for a nice improvement with this
Last edited by kevstewart on December 14th, 2011, 7:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BNR stage1, 3" Downpipe w/200 cell, Autotech HPFP, Cpe TMIC, Cpe 3" SRI, HTP 3" tip, Amsoil filter w/Prefilter, GoFastBits BOV, Grimmspeed interrupt, NGK iridium IX, Snow Stage 2 meth w/Aquamist parts, Sure Juggernaught, Cpe diff brace.
06Speed6

Re: New uk member

Post by 06Speed6 »

The ms6 high load tune is a good start. The grimmspeed 3 port tune is my old tune, I have tweeked it alot since then.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

Maybe I'll start there then.... Any idea what level of boost I would be producing with that map? I know it's load based so not as simple as that but at the moment I peak at 15 psi then drops to about 12psi... Air temp has dropped to about 5 degrees Celsius this week so not producing the same psi as previously (although this seems normal with temp drop). I should also get my car checked for any boost leaks... I'll try get that organised this week.

So I can take that map then alter a few things yeah, setting up maf would probably be the first thing to change?
BNR stage1, 3" Downpipe w/200 cell, Autotech HPFP, Cpe TMIC, Cpe 3" SRI, HTP 3" tip, Amsoil filter w/Prefilter, GoFastBits BOV, Grimmspeed interrupt, NGK iridium IX, Snow Stage 2 meth w/Aquamist parts, Sure Juggernaught, Cpe diff brace.
06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

A maf calibration after the boost leak test, then tuning. Boost isnt really something that you tune for, you simply request a certain load and the ecu determines the boost needed to reach it.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

Yeah that's fine, I understand that after some research :geek:

I'll get boost leak check and install as soon as I know all is well... Can't wait :)
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Welcome aboard Kev!

Can't wait to hear how it runs with VT on it.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

Thanks Steve

In your opinion would a 3" exhaust from downpipe back be worthwhile? Can be got for £500 but I already spent £450 on my standard sized one.... And it would be sold for scrap! :(
I was tempted but it's alot of cash for potentially small benifit.

As said, I ain't looking for mega power, just to make the most out of the mods fitted so far... Make it all worthwhile 8-)
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

A 3" DP and high flow cats make the biggest difference. The stock catback isn't really that much of a restriction.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

Yeah that makes sense, I'll leave it for now and see how i get on without touching the downpipe.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

I've installed the high load map and am happy so far. Just need to calibrate my maf, will do some logs tomorrow all going well.

So what do I need to do to put the grimmspeed interrupt mode onto the high load map?
Copy table from the interrupt map but I don't know what tables so some advice would be greatly appreciated :)