My tune so far...... comments please!

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
JUT

My tune so far...... comments please!

Post by JUT »

Well I have been tweaking my tune little by little and believe I am getting there.... nearly. I just really want to know if it is safe to push for any more power (request 2.1 / 2.2 loads)? I seem to maintain a 2.0 load with just under 16psi on the stock K04 in the lower rpm range (temps around 7 degrees celcius), I have leaned AFR's to .8 Lambda. I have attached my tune and a 3rd gear pull for comments please.
Attachments
My Tune!.zip
(41.84 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
3rd Gear Pull.zip
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
BNR Stage 2 Turbo, DNP Manifold, CP-e Safe Seals, Corksport "RAMAIR" FMIC / Intake, 3" TBE, HPFP Internals, Forge BPV, EGR Delete, VTCS Delete, H&R Springs, Blistein B8 Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, Tuned with Image
manselainen

Re: My tune so far...... comments please!

Post by manselainen »

Boost curve is nice, no overshooting at all! I must copy your parameters... I think boost could be higher, it's just 1,1 bar or sthg like that. That's some serious air flow!

Edit: Little lean at low rpm's. You might want to log fuel pressure as well.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
JUT

Post by JUT »

Steve helped me out with the boost and I have been tinkering with the tables as I have been increasing load. I have since sorted out the lean AFR's lower in the rpm band and have raised max load to 2.1 which the car achieves with only 17psi boost! When do I stop increasing load? lol
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
BNR Stage 2 Turbo, DNP Manifold, CP-e Safe Seals, Corksport "RAMAIR" FMIC / Intake, 3" TBE, HPFP Internals, Forge BPV, EGR Delete, VTCS Delete, H&R Springs, Blistein B8 Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, Tuned with Image
mrQQ

Post by mrQQ »

is your MAF calibrated? I've seen high loads reached with inaccurate MAF, the AFR wasn't on target.
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

Don't stop yet. I'm targeting 2,45 @ 4500. That seems to be about max it can do at those rpms. It could do more at lower rpms though.

06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

With a bnr stg2 you should be able to hit at least 2.5 load in the mid ranges before bats become a problem.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You can safely go over load 2 above 5k rpm only with a 3BAR map sensor. High load at high RPM means more boost and more air flow, and the stock MAP sensor will not be able to keep up. I'm hitting the limit of the MAP sensor at 6000rpm'ish when shooting for load 2.1 or higher at around 12-15C ambient temps.
And when you're load tuning you need to take into consideration the ambient temps you're ding your logged runs, because if the ambient temps are low enough you will most probably hit the MAP fuel cut limit before you hit your load targets.

Moreover, shooting for high load values at mod/high RPM with the K04 will turn it into a fire thrower. And in the low/mid range it may destroy the love based relationship between the rods and the block and it may make them divorce.

Also, if you're on stock fuel pump internals stop at about load 1.85-1.9 in the mid range (4500rpm max, then decrease the per-gear load limits/targets), if it happens to load spike a few times in some inopportune moments the rods may also kiss the block goodbye. With aftermarket HPFP internals I guess you can go up to like 2.2 load in the mid range and end up with some diesel-like power/torque curve (if you're using pump gas)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

He has a ptp pump, i run 2.2 load in the mid rpms and taper to 1.9ish up high with the stock turbo, the bnr that he has can do somewhat better than that.
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

What was stock MAP sensor measuring range again? I think it will first be maxed out with low-mid rpm's where K04 can still build boost. At over 4500 rpm boost (and load as well) will taper off no matter what we do.

In my latest log at +4 C, 4th gear, E30 I see values like

______load___load
rpm__target_actual_MAP___WGDC
3500__2,3____2,3____2,26___54 could do more but...
4000__2,3____2,3____2,35___60 could do more but...
4500__2,5____2,4____2,45___99,99 doesn't reach load target
5000__2,4____2,25___2,34___99,99 doesn't reach load target
5500__2,25___2,1____2,28___99,99 doesn't reach load target
6000__2,1____1,95___2,17___99,99 doesn't reach load target
6500__1,9____1,8____2,22(!)_99,99 doesn't reach load target

For some reason my boost recovers, like boost creep???

edit: impossible to line up columns easily

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The stock MAP can measure 2.5BAR which is about 36.2-36.3PSI or so. The barometric pressure is, depending on where you are, around 14.5PSI (1BAR). So the actual boost you can still measure with the stock MAP sensor is around 1.5BAR/21.5-21.75psi (past 21PSI the readings may not be that accurate).
Now, you're using an E85 mix (E30) so you have the advantage of pushing some bond oxygen molecules into the cylinder apart from what's coming through the intake :) But even so, by its design the K04 cannot push more air into the engine (because of it's A/R and the shaft which doesn't have bearings, meaning it cannot go too fast and is also prone to overheating).

If you're hitting that 100% WGDC past 5krpm most probably that turbo will not last for long. But I guess you know that and you're even doing it on purpose :) so that you can have a reason to go big :)

JUT, something I forgot to mention: the load is calculated based on various read values. One of these values (the main value I'd say) is the MAF g/s (or lb/min, depending on what system you're using). If your MAF calibration is way off and the MAF g/s values are significantly higher than the real values then the ECU will calculate higher load values (which you will get in your monitoring) without actually making power.

P.S.: ...and based on this, some tuners scale down the MAF g/s values, command slightly richer AFR's, and they get lower calculated values and a bit leaner AFR's to match their actual target. This is just a trick that I think hypertech was using :) ...but they still had pretty rich AFR's (in the low/mid 10's).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP