noob from Croatia

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
kish89

noob from Croatia

Post by kish89 »

hello,

Total noob, so please be easy on me :)
My current mods are Corksport SRI+TIP , Forge BPV, Eagle con.rods (bent rod - engine rebuild :woohooo ) .
I've been using HyperTech tune for a while, but I want some better solution, so here I am, Versatune installed and waiting for Tactrix cable.
I'm not planning to get some crazy HP numbers, maybe catted DP and upgraded HPFP in future, so about 250WHP?
Stock car on dyno got 200WHP, with some correction factors that would be 256BHP, suppose that's normal for EU MPS 6.

For start is it ok to flash "Base 93US/98EU Octane High Load" map?
Does anyone have MAF calibrations for Corksport SRI(+TIP), or do I need to do it myself?
In Versatune, am I able to log calculated Boost pressure, instead of Intake manifold absoule pressure and then substracting it from atmospheric pressure?

That's it for now :)
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
Tuned with Image by Image
manselainen

Re: noob from Croatia

Post by manselainen »

Hi and welcome!

People here are not so tough like on some other forums...

I would do MAF cal anyway, and repeat that procedure until you are happy with WOT desired and actual lambdas/AFRs.
I also started with base hiload map.

Versatune does not log boost, it has been wished but I don't know if/when it's coming. You can manage with MAP as well though.

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Yeah, it's better to do your own MAF cal.
When I began my journey with versatuner manselainen was kind enough to share his Cobb SRI MAF cal to get me going as I was eager to start but did not have more than like 1 hour/day to play with this. 2 weeks later when I had several hours to spend on a good road with very light traffic and did my own MAF CAL I found that there are a lot of differences (not big, but still significant) which come from the average temperature, altitude, atmospheric pressure and even the MAF sensors themselves.

The Corksport SRI isn't much different than the stock tune. The fuel trim differences are still within the manageable ranges, so you can flash your ECU with a MAP with the stock MAF calibration, don't press the acceleration more than 50% in the first 15-20km and do not go WOT sooner than 25-30km or before driving across all RPM range (idle to 5000-5000) with light acceleration.

Btw, how much time did your engine build take? I remember your story from the MSF but I failed to subscribe to that thread to follow it. Maybe you can just share the link if all the information is there.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kish89

Post by kish89 »

I'm currently on stock tune and LTFTs on idle with SRI are -6%, at WOT they are at 0%, which is I suppose normal.
In few days I should get Tactrix cable, so High Load map is good choice for start?
Am I able to share maps with other VT users, maybe to try someone's else map?

Engine rebuild took about 12 days (5days rebuild, 7days waiting for parts from USA).
Here is full thread, and some pictures:
http://imageshack.us/g/267/image001mdg.jpg/
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... ent-95450/

Anyone knows which is normal boost pressure for EU MPS6 ?
Im currently spiking at 13.5PSI, and then it settles at 12PSI (logging with android Torque).
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

That seems low to me. I would expect to see ~15PSI. It depends on mods though. It matters whether you are hitting load targets or not. A bigger turbo with a big exhaust and intake will make more load at lower boost.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

Yes, it seems kinda low, but another MPS6 in Croatia is hitting pretty much the same boost values, I'm not sure for UK, but probably they have same specs, or not?
One thing I'm sure is that USA cars have about 2PSI more boost then we on stock maps, hence the difference 272HP vs 260HP.

btw. did anyone tried to flash USA maps to EU spec car, will we get advertised 272HP, or that just cant work?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

All VersaTuner tunes for Mazdaspeed6 / 6 MPS work on all regions.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

So in theory if I flash stock USA MS6 map on EU car, it would have 272HP as USA car?
AFAIK only difference is in ECU..
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

You would have a lot of things to deal with. Stock tunes are not interchangeable.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

There are a few things to tell about the boost values you're seeing:
1. the stock tune is load based, meaning that in cold weather your car needs to boost less to push the same amount of oxygen into the cylinders and hit the load limits;
2. if you're looking at the boost values in 1st or 2nd gear then keep in mind that the load targets are lower in those gears.

If you're in Croatia then most probably at this time you have around -5C - +5C temperatures, so the explanation for the low boost values is most probably #1.

And yes, in theory if you flash the US Spec map to your car it will make 273PS as well. But you've seen the limitations and shortcomings of the stock tune already, USDM or Euro :)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP