noob from Croatia

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: noob from Croatia

Post by mituc »

I'm not sure there can be any noise induced KR on a car with stock engine mounts + stock downpipe + stock piston heads, but it may still be possible to have something loose under the hood that's touching the intake manifold (where the knock sensor is). In my opinion 5.5 degrees is definitely high, as well as 3.5.
You have forged rods so the possible damage is less, but you can still damage your piston heads, piston rings or spark plugs if you're knocking that bad.

If you want to run through VD your car with the stock tune just uninstall VT and let it re-learn the fuel trims for a few good kilometers (at least 25-30, ideally more than that in various driving conditions, ideally town driving combined with country roads cruising in various gears at various RPMs).
The versatuner should still be able to read the PID values even if the car is not flashed with the VT tune, the way the OBD readings work does not depend on the actual tune installed in the ECU.

Later edit: just checked your log, there's no indication of anything wrong going on. The fuel pressure is good, boost is not high at all, the wastegate just started closing... maybe the advance timing is a bit too aggressive (33.8) which is pretty much there with the stock tune as well (at least on the 3MPS, but they should not differ too much from this point of view). So it may be noise induced but it's hard to tell. Do more logs, eventually logs with the stock tune (not VT stock, but the stock tune on the car), and see how's like. You still have different rods but since you're using stock bearings not sure if those can make any noises, and this occurs during the spool up anyway.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kish89

Post by kish89 »

On stock(mazda) tune I didn't have any KR, maximum what I have seen was 0.7KR past 5k RPMs at WOT.
Is anyone else here using 93US/98EU High Load tune on MS6 ?
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
Tuned with Image by Image
keridil

Post by keridil »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:When you click on New Tune, it starts with all of the tables populated with stock values. This is the same as the initial tune that is installed when VT is initially installed on the car.
So, just to clarify, it ain't your previous stock tune in your car before you install VT. It's "VT's clean/stock tune". Innit?
Mazda 6 MPS, BPV GFB, RX-8 wheels, B8 + Eibach Pro-Kit, CS 3" SRI, GS EBCS (interrupt), CS 3" TMIC, EGR off, HPFP internals, CS catted downpipe, 3 bar MAP, BNRS3, forged engine and stuff
keridil

Post by keridil »

kish89 wrote:On stock(mazda) tune I didn't have any KR, maximum what I have seen was 0.7KR past 5k RPMs at WOT.
Is anyone else here using 93US/98EU High Load tune on MS6 ?
I'm using it too. I'm getting some KR too, but not so high, some times 2º or so, but quite scattered in the logs, so I think everything if fine.
Mazda 6 MPS, BPV GFB, RX-8 wheels, B8 + Eibach Pro-Kit, CS 3" SRI, GS EBCS (interrupt), CS 3" TMIC, EGR off, HPFP internals, CS catted downpipe, 3 bar MAP, BNRS3, forged engine and stuff
Phil MC

Post by Phil MC »

I've also had the 98EU High Load tune for the past week or so, and my KR is virtually zero, with the occasional blip to around 0.75. Seems a decent base map, which gives me a very slight boost spike which I would smooth if I wasn't fitting a downpipe & other stuff this weekend and flashing a new map.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

I've just returned my car to stock map (uninstalled VT), will do some logging, MAF calibration ,and then again reflash it with High Load map with calibrated MAF.
Hope this will solve KR.

Question about LTFTs, I don't know what LTFTs I had with stock intake, but after installing Corksport SRI+TIP, my LTFTs at idle are -8%, at WOT they are 0% which is ok.
I see that pretty much every intake install gives positive LTFTs because of more airflow, but why do I get negative numbers, I've triple checked intake and did boost leak test and everything seems just fine...
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
Tuned with Image by Image
keridil

Post by keridil »

kish89 wrote:I've just returned my car to stock map (uninstalled VT), will do some logging, MAF calibration ,and then again reflash it with High Load map with calibrated MAF.
Hope this will solve KR.

Question about LTFTs, I don't know what LTFTs I had with stock intake, but after installing Corksport SRI+TIP, my LTFTs at idle are -8%, at WOT they are 0% which is ok.
I see that pretty much every intake install gives positive LTFTs because of more airflow, but why do I get negative numbers, I've triple checked intake and did boost leak test and everything seems just fine...
Hi there kish89,

LTFTs at WOT always are 0% so be patient and let your ECU to learn before going WOT.

With my fitted SURE Aeros I got -10% at idle and -4,57 between 18 g/s y 30 g/s mass air flow. So is not only you. ;) Fixed now after my MAF calibration.

Cheers.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

LTFT's are always 0 in open loop (WOT or heavy POT - see the CL-OL transition tables to understand when you're in open loop and when still in closed loop).

The ECU logic will tolerate (and "learn") fuel trims up to 20% difference (I think it freaks out at 20% or more and starts cutting fuel or ignition, depending on the situation).
-8% is still fine and since the fuel trims are negative it means that the ECU actually pulls some fuel rather than spraying additional fuel, so you'd rather want your fuel trims on the negative/rich side. As long as you give your ECU enough time to learn the new trims you will be fine.

So take some logs during "decent" driving (meaning closed loop) and do your MAF cal. Your car will feel a lot better after that.

Later edit: I'm going to create a new thread, something like "Share your MAF CAL". If anybody has a decent MAF cal for a specific intake (same intake should work with the same MAF cal on MS3, MS6 or CX7) then share it so this can be a quick starting point for the newcomers. I have the Cobb SRI but hopefully there are going to be people with Corksport and other popular intake options as well.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
keridil

Post by keridil »

I'll share mine for SURE Aeros LTFT are between -3.9 / 0.0 on CL

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7