Loads Per Gear:Flat foot Shifting:What RPM to Change Gear

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
Ricardo_yen

Post by Ricardo_yen »

Hi Guys

I have a Mazda 6 MPS ( based in South Africa ),list of mods include ( but not limited too )engine mounts, corksport FMIC + TM Induction, 76mm Catless Exhaust, DP, DO Stage 2 WMI, to name a few mods, im at sea level and runing on a stock block with 17.64 PSI of boost (1.2 bars)

We have managed to MAF cal to Abs 5 for now, but will continue to cal till its better.

So I need Advise and some comments

1. First Thing with regards to the load per gear, what i did was

Looking at the OEM Map, ( This is not a Base Tune map, its the OEM),

This is how the gearing is set out, with the main limitations coming in the form of Normal/ Overload and Baro Specific Variables. ( Have a Look at attachment)

So then I followed the same procedure with my Map,

In my req loads per gear, I change the loads from 2000 - 3500 so that it peaks max req load at 3500 and then keeps the max req load until 5000 where I make it go down.
Looking at gear 3 to 5 Lets say I max req load is 1.93:
2000 = 1.3, 2250 = 1.55 2500 = 1.8, 3000 = 1.9, 3500 - 5000 = 1.93, 5500 = 1.9, 6000 = 1.85........... and so on

Is this correct ??, advise comments

2. One concern, was the load per gearing vs flat foot shifting, currently, im flat foot shifting at about 6000 rpm, With the max rpm set for FFS is 5000rpm, i want to drop that to about 4500 or 4800 rpm, Cos if i keep changing at 5000 rpm im gonna run out of leg room for the rpm to make power before changing, or run out gears ............ before the 400m

Basically what im asking here is, what is the maxim area or power band to make power pear gear, at what rpm should i change gear ( ALL at FLAT FOOT SHIFTING ), and what should be the max rpm for FFS :banghead

Comments
Attachments
Gearing.rar
Graph of Gearing
(12.85 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Loads Per Gear:Flat foot Shifting:What RPM to Change Gea

Post by mituc »

Just keep in mind that when your dash RPM gauge is at 7000rpm your engine is actually at 6650-6700. So If you shift now at 6k rpm you're actually shifting at like 5800 max. Take a look at where you shift (by logging that) and what is the RPM you drop at and set your FFS rpm at like 200rpm below that.

P.S.: load 1.85 on the stock K04 may not really ok. You have WMI so your BAT's will be fine, but the stock K04 is going to be running with the wastegate fully closed at that RPM to meet the load targets (meaning the actual boost and flow). If you run on an upgraded K04 or larger turbo then just ignore this :)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Most of us here in South Africa still have stock K04's. Why is it a problem requesting a load of 1.85 on stock turbo? Ricardo is at sea level and he hits proper loads and maf g/s's with no KR without the WMI. I stay at 5400ft, requesting a load of 1.9 and I have no issues what so ever. Please elaborate why youre advising against a requested load bigger than 1.85? Also wgdc is not that high averaging below 60%
Tuned with Image by Image
Ricardo_yen

Re: Loads Per Gear:Flat foot Shifting:What RPM to Change Gea

Post by Ricardo_yen »

All my runs are without the water meth, or use of water meth, for now, i want themap to work well without the need of WM,

@ Mituc, I will definately try what you saying, for the FFS, give you feedback when im done