High LTFT's and other challenges

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: High LTFT's and other challenges

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

STFT sensor 2 is the narrow band sensor. It has very limited input on AFR. Use the primary (Wideband) sensor.
summerblink

Post by summerblink »

This morning I recorded that primary sensor readings for STFT also.
Can you spot any difference in Wastegate duty cycle, are the readings still on dangerous areas?

What I noticed, was that before CS SRI install, the STFT's were evenly on plus and minus like 20-23%.
Since first run after SRI install STFT's are only on minus side (hugely), at least at current stock tune they are.
Any idea why this happens?
Attachments
First CS SRI run.zip
(223.25 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Before SRI install.zip
(439.46 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Morning run 2.7.zip
also primary stft recorded, stock tune
(33.72 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Mazdaspeed6 2006
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Would you mind posting the CSV exports? Looks like the logs are not readable either between versions or mazdaspeed versions, not only the tunes... :banghead

The STFT's vary a lot, you should pay attention to the LTFT's.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
summerblink

Post by summerblink »

Here's some csv-files: I tried to clean most of the lines but I don't know how they open now because I have Open office, not Excel :?:

I checked wga today with pressure, and it was totally functional.
I tried to check boost leaks also, but after the session I noticed that my compressors tire air meter's hose was leaking and I think that's where the pressure leaked :banghead

There was some soot coming out of egr pipe's nut, so i'll check if egr delete, new pcv + purge valve make any effect to anything.

Next test runs i'll make short so they are not so p.i.t.a to edit or read :)
Attachments
186perusloggaus.csv
before sri install (i might not succeeded cleaning this file)
(444.08 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Short morning run 2.7.csv
short run, today
(74.27 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
First CS SRI run.csv
first run after cs sri install
(42.84 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Mazdaspeed6 2006
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

mituc wrote:Would you mind posting the CSV exports? Looks like the logs are not readable either between versions or mazdaspeed versions, not only the tunes... :banghead
I was able to open one of these .vtlog files with VersaTuner 1.7.0 for Mada3 MPS. The SRI log did not load. I will look into that. The logs should be readable across platforms.

Edit - The Desired Fuel Rail Pressure PID is not supported in the 3MPS ECU. I will look into at least adding log viewer support for that platform.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Thank you Steve!
Indeed, I attempted to open that one first and it failed, so i simply assumed that it doesn't work.

Summerblink, how long did you drive your car before you took those logs? It looks to me like you took the logs shortly after reflashing, and I can tell that by looking at the significant differences between the desired and actual AFR while LTFT remains 0.
There are some areas where LTFT should be 3-8% and it's 0, even if sometimes it suddenly jumps to non-zero values (and even with the stock MAF cal the LTFT's will not be 0 just because the ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure variations compared to the default calibration which is at sea level and +20 or +25C).
You should drive your car at least 30 miles, ideally 100+, so that the ECU can get an idea about what the MAF is actually reading compared to the existing calibration.

Big negative LTFT's may indicate a vacuum leak, meaning that the engine is getting unmetered air. You may need to check all the hoses there again, one common mistake during installation is the improper re-connection of the small hose between the TIP nipple and wastegate solenoid. Check the fitting and clamps again just to make sure.

P.S.: I use openoffice too! ;) Excel won't even work on the operating system I use on my workstation...
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
summerblink

Post by summerblink »

I don't remember actually how long did I drive - Hell, I don't recall what I ate for lunch yesterday :biggrin

Did you see anything about wastegate duty, or does it seem any better?
Here's again a csv. of short run on yesterday - this time from another computer if it helps.

Did I understand right that wgdc should follow the peaks of absolute load and intake manifold absolute pressure to prevent
excessive pressure in the motor?

I'll check the hoses and i'll drive with this flash at least 100-150Km's before posting a log so it will be set, thanks a bunch again guys :)

P.S And have some sun too and don't just sit inside wastegating time on n00b logs :bouncinggrins
Attachments
morning run.csv
(74.27 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Mazdaspeed6 2006
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Nope... it's not better... look at lines 301-310 or so, 340-350... :( Still high load and boost with 0% WGDC...
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
summerblink

Post by summerblink »

I tried to open the csv and now it was just like matrix-blurr for me :smashpc

If we look the picture graph of that morning run where:

Red: absolute load
Blue: intake manifold absolute pressure
Orange: WGDC

There are 6 peaks of load greater than 1,0 and in all the wg opens.
Do you mean that it should be open longer and not shut down so fast (leak or actuator fault?) and should the wg be open also on
those less than 1.0 etc. loads?

Or does the csv-file just show the things more accurately than the picture? Sorry but this is still nuclear physics for me :screwy
Attachments
Screenshot of 2.7 morning run
Screenshot of 2.7 morning run
screenshot morning run.png (100.2 KiB) Viewed 16159 times
Mazdaspeed6 2006
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

WGDC of 100% means that the solenoid is commanding the wastegate to stay fully shut. In this case all the exhaust gases are getting through the charger turbine.
WGDG of 0% means that the solenoid is letting the wastegate to open fully. In this case the exhaust gases are diverted directly to the exhaust pipe and the charger wheel is spun by only a fraction of the exhaust gasses (the value of that fraction depends on how the wastegate is designed, how large is the diverted hole and so on).

When you hit high load and see whe WGDG dropping down to 0 means that the ECU is commanding the wastegate solenoid to open the wastegate to avoid an overboost/overspin condition with the turbo. Every time you hit load above 1.7 in your logs this started to happen BUT the load keeps increasing because the boost (this air flow) keeps increasing. This means that the solenoid is trying to open the wastegate but for some reason it doesn't. And this is how you hit load values of 1.7-1.9 (and I've seen even 1.98) with almost 0 WGDG.

If I'm correct what you're experiencing now is something called "boost creep". This leads to boost spikes and load spikes which are dangerous for the engine.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7