Hybrid Turbo Advice ??, GT28

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
Ricardo_yen

Hybrid Turbo Advice ??, GT28

Post by Ricardo_yen »

Hi all,

So I'll start where I left off, the last time I posted was more than a month ago, where I had a few issues,
Questions I h ad at the time, included,

1. what limit to set the wot shifting to and a weird cut off that I was experiencing

At first I thought it could be related to fueling issues and since I had the spare parts I changed the fueling system to upgraded parts, like ITFP,HPFP, RV,

It was when I was changing the RV that I accidentally broke the radiator, :banghead

While my car was at the dealership I tested my map on another 6 MPS, actually two cars,and the same thing happened with the cut off, so I knew my map was F'ed and wound need to start again,

So while the car was there, I got the inspiration from the BNR style turbo and designed a hybrid that uses the GT2860 compressor housing and CHRA( non BB) and the KO4 exhaust housing, while doing that, I installed a cobb 3 port ebc and the EGR delete,steed speed mani with a complete 3 inch TIP, a new OEM MAP sensor and a new MAF sensor ( old sensors where on there way out)

So begs the question, where to start?,
What boost range should I operate ( safety biggest priority)
What load should I aim for ?

I am currently running a stock block ..... And will continue using that till I can get all the other components to build up my block ( better part of a year), the current mods I have are as follows, I'm based at sea level, in Durban, South Africa

Custom GT28/K04 Hybrid, SteedSpeed Exhaust Mani,Cobb EBC,EGR Delete,76 Zorst,DP,FMIC,3" TIP,SRI,DO Wat/Meth Pro,Shortcut,Counterweight,Anchors,HPFP,ITFP,Ptp RV,Diff Brace,Diff Mount,Wishbone,ITV22,DashDaq,3+Spec,Fid Flywheel,Versatune

So finapppp
Ricardo_yen

Re: Hybrid Turbo Advice ??, GT28

Post by Ricardo_yen »

Please advise after the MAF cals, as I already know this is the first step.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I don't see in the mods list in your sig if you have an upgraded MAP sensor. With your mods you definitely should have one. If you don't I suggest not to boost higher than like 21PSI so that you can still have room up to like 21.5, because the stock MAP sensor will read only 21.75 and above 21.5 it will mot provide really accurate info nor react fast enough.

On stock block you should not probably go above load 2.2 across the entire rpm range. I also strongly suggest to hire a professional e-tuner for this.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Was the K04 turbine housing machined larger to accept the Garrett wheel? That housing is not a high flowing piece.

Start out low and work your way up. Start out with 2.0 load or less down low and taper to 1.7 up high. Bump it up once you get a feel for what boost it takes to hit those loads. Like mituc said, keep it safely under the limit of your MAP sensor so you retain overboost protection. I set my NLS rev limit to 5500 and have not had any issues.
Ricardo_yen

Post by Ricardo_yen »

@ Mituc, I currently have the oem map sensor, but i dont plan on boosting more than 17 psi, ( the long stroke of the MPS, make the rods easier to go boom boom), i also plan on adding an innovate lc1 to my dashdaq, to make sure my afr's are spot on..........

@ Steve, the K04 was machined out and, and a strenghted sleeve added for extra mesure, no balancing was required, as i used the entire GT28 chra, and modified the exhaust housing to use bolts oppose to the ring type like the oem GT28 housing........... similar to the BNR style

Thx for the advice thus far, I will post logs, and work from there.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Well, if you don't intend to boost higher than 17PSI you could have kept the stock K04 then which is good for 19PSI from 3200 to like 4700, 17psi at like 5000-5200 and then tapper down. Of course, with your upgraded turbo you can hold 17psi up to the red line and flow a bit more in that range, but what's the point of having a big turbo engine which would produce more power only close to red-line compared to a stock one ? :)
You should think about like 19-20PSI of boost from 4k (20PSI would result in load 2.0-2.1) to 6.5k (19psi at 6.5k should be like 1.8 load) and stay near the stock limits below 3200-3400. Don't go past load 2.2, make sure you don't have boost spikes and you will not go boom this century.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ricardo_yen

Post by Ricardo_yen »

@ Mituc, ok so I'm following you......slowly,

Please explain how I should set up the load and the boost please, with an example, if necessary, you can email me on [email protected]. Assuming I plan on working within 19 to 20 psi, Thx in advance,