Loads I should be getting

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Loads I should be getting

Post by mituc »

If you can't force more air into the engine then doing whatever is necessary to run more timing seems to be the only way to go.
I kind of hit the same wall when the ambient temps are above +35C si I'm going to inject water to keep the timing (so BAT's) in the same range as during winter.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

That is the plan with the meth. Not going to tune for it exactly, but will use it mainly to control those high BAT's when heatsoak is apparent. Thin air = less air and water particles per volume to pass over the tmic. Efficiency with the tmic at altitude is insanely down..Think our turbo's are working there little harts off!!!

@ Steve. Will also help with the altitude logs if the need arises. MPS6 with 2.5"SRI, one step colder plugs, 2d CAT is out.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Kevin wrote:Where we stay its 85kpa. I can do some logs if u want steve. I currently have stock induction installed with full 3" dp + decatted exhaust and running D03 wmi
I'd love to see some logs.

That K04 is out of the efficiency island pretty quick at 85 kPa ambient baro.
nitroelectric

Post by nitroelectric »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:
Kevin wrote:Where we stay its 85kpa. I can do some logs if u want steve. I currently have stock induction installed with full 3" dp + decatted exhaust and running D03 wmi
I'd love to see some logs.

That K04 is out of the efficiency island pretty quick at 85 kPa ambient baro.
Hi Steve and everyone else,

I live in Jozi and my ECU reports ambient Baro at 84,5kPa so here are some data for you and the other guys who live at altitude. I am sorry my logs don't show anything much above 5000rpm but I feel pushing the turbo here, (even with my mods) is not that great an idea, and besides 3,5 - 5,5 is where all the power is anyway.

I have finally done what mods will likely be done and have settled with a tune that I feel reasonably happy with (this tune has developed alongside my mods). I have:
2012 Mazda 3MPS MK2
CorkSport 3" CAI
CorkSport HPFP
Custom 3" DP/decat and exhaust

So I reckon I am borderline with what can be done with the pump fuel we have (Engine 95), I tune for this fuel because you can find it all over the country and seems pretty consistent. AFR is approaching 0,8 lambda. LTFT is shown as +3,1% at WOT. There is always KR around (generally < 1°), mostly with high delta MAP, if I run any leaner it's all over the place.

I request 1,98 load and see it hold about 1,7 - 1,8 with the occasional boost spike around 1,9 with temps of +/- 25° I have reduced most load limit multipliers and now pretty much ride on the Boost Limit Baro map to control final loads. It's around 95% for 3000 - 5500rpm and the load increase has been responding (and still does) to changes here from when I first started incrementing this limit but with it being so high now it's a telling sign of reduced headroom. It is holding boost with BCS now in the 70% range, probably a little more can be done here, but again, I prefer not to get close to bottoming out any adjustments. Interesting to note is that sometimes those boost spikes are more exaggerated than others. I don't mind seeing the throttle closing a bit to control them, I find the accel/decel load limit maps just hold overall load back with little effect on boost spikes (since DP) so they are pretty flattened out now, I have just reduced BCS a bit in the 3500 - 4000 range.

So below loads of 1,6 the load and MAP curves follow the same trend. Now that loads approach 1,8, you can see that the the load curve starts to tail off w.r.t. MAP when closing in on 5000rpm+ I take this as a clear sign that the turbo efficiency is getting lower and has possibly reached safe operating limit.

I am least experienced with timing so have generally left that alone. I have tracked the timing through the base map and it appears as though it only just makes those figures, I don't really see it working up to the max table values but what-evs, I'll get to that later... I have never been on a dyno so don't know what it's putting down, I just tune with these logs and my ass, and I can tell you: this Mazda is quick, it pulls like a demon in 2nd and 3rd and thanks to VT 1.9 NLS is a blast!!!

I hope this is helpful, I am happy to reply to questions and to take advice.

Regards,
Anton
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (752.89 KiB) Viewed 11185 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (719.13 KiB) Viewed 11185 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Try exporting these logs as CSVs rather that posting images. By looking at an excel sheet we can tell easier what improvements can be done.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
nitroelectric

Post by nitroelectric »

Hi Mituc,

Awesome thanks!

Regards,
Anton
Attachments
log2.csv
(127.88 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
log1.csv
(77.69 KiB) Downloaded 490 times