Loads I should be getting

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
ShakesReaper

Loads I should be getting

Post by ShakesReaper »

Hi guys.

I have had VT for a while now and have been reading all the posts here. Thought I should introduce myself.

I have a 2008 MPS6 in South Africa. Live on the reef at about 1490m (4900 feet) above sea level.

My mods are at this stage only a SRI and tip, all 2.5".

What Loads do you guys I should be getting. I have no problem getting to about 1.6 with a mild tune :swear .

Thanx and I am looking forward to getting to know a couple of you.

Cheers!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Loads I should be getting

Post by mituc »

Just flash a High Load OTS map and you'll be fine. You should be getting abs load up to 1.7-1.8 safely at that altitude in the mid range (3500-5000rpm).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

Did think to do that, but the thing is that our utmost best fuel here is 95 octane (think that is 91RON, not sure). I am extremely paranoid about knock. Not really in the mood (or funds) to replace my motor.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Commanding 1.8 and hitting 1.6 is dead normal at 5400ft on stock K04. There is an approximate 15-20% loss due to the altitude difference. The only other way that there would be an increase in actual load at this altitude would be an increase in volumetric effeciency. Running stock tmic leaves alot of heat in the engine bay which influences the IAT's very badly. Cooler IAT's = more g/s = more engine load.
Tuned with Image by Image
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The more g/s u can push through the engine the more load u will make and that directly translates to the amount of air the engine is able to flow (VE)... Or thats how i see it :)
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

OK

I understand that you loose VE at altitude, so does that mean that if I command 2 load I will get 1.8?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Id say if commanding such a load it would more be in the region of 1.7. The stocker would really be stretching its legs at altitude
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Also, the high load OTS map has increased FP values. This map needs hpfp upgrade.
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

Sounds hectic. All I want is more power. That so much to ask?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Kevin wrote:Also, the high load OTS map has increased FP values. This map needs hpfp upgrade.
Ideally yes but at actual load values below 1.9 you're still fine. The high load OTS maps command 1.85 tops IIRC.
Once you go above 1.9 you're into the unknown... the OEM FP may be fine at load 2 or may fail even around 1.9. It's all about the fuel amount ot can deliver in a given amount of time and running overly rich AFR's or commanding very high loads will put too much strain on it.
ShakesReaper wrote:Sounds hectic. All I want is more power. That so much to ask?
You have more power compared to stock. But you also need to keep in mind that the altitude/atmospheric pressure/air density play a significant role here and the power comes from the air you-re pushing into your engine (and a few other things, but air is the key).
Also, the 95RON/91OCT gas is not that great so increasing the boost will affect the maximum advance timing values you can run even more than if you used 93OCT/98RON gas.

Also take a log and post it along with the current tune you're using, maybe someone can help.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP