Rear diff mount Question.

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
ShakesReaper

Rear diff mount Question.

Post by ShakesReaper »

Loving this forum so far!

To all the MS6/MPS6 guys:

I do realize that a rear diff mount/brace is essential if you are one for hard pulls from stop.
So my question is: if in first gear your pulls gives say 0.7g, and from there is goes down as the gears increase. I can therefor up the loads (if my mods allow so, but that is not the point now) in all the other gears. Because of the AWD and all the traction, the most strain on the drivetrain is in a 1st gear hard pull. Am I correct in saying this?

Thanx
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: Rear diff mount Question.

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Initial launch and hard shifting create the biggest shock load on the driveline. Normal acceleration is nowhere near the stress of launching and shifting.
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

So I can up the loads and just avoid hard launching and hard shifting.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

I have stock mounts and 500 Ft/Lb AWTQ. No problem. Just dont drive it like you stole it.
ShakesReaper

Post by ShakesReaper »

Mmmmm. 500 Ft/Lb and don't drive like you stole it? How?

Anyway, thanx for confirming my thoughts.

What will be classified as a modderate launch? 3000rpm 2sec clutch or 5000rpm dump?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

The stock flywheel is heavy. You don't need to spin it to 5000. I haven't had a stock clutch and flywheel in a long time, so I can't really recall how I launched it stock. You just need it high enough to keep the turbo fully spooled so you don't bog down. The main thing is that you don't just sidestep the clutch. That put's a tremendous shock load on the driveline. Make sure that you gently bring the initial load up against the driveline then feed the clutch fast from there. When you do that, you take the free play out of the driveline so it doesn't bang. Sort of like the pre-tensioners in seatbelts. They pull the belts tight when an impact is sensed. That way your body doesn't bang into the locked belt.