Hi all is there any tuts on the versatune?

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
MPSpete

Hi all is there any tuts on the versatune?

Post by MPSpete »

Hi all I've just purchased the Versatune and flashed the hi load map, my car seems to be running sweet but is there any tutorials as I would really like to have ago at editing the high load base map.

Thanks Pete
3" Catted DP 1x 200cell, Tip, Itv22, Mtech Discs, YellowStuff Pads, Autotech HPFP
kevstewart

Re: Hi all is there any tuts on the versatune?

Post by kevstewart »

Any mods at the moment?

There is a thread by skiptowncat with lots of info on it and tuning guides on mazdaspeed forum.
BNR stage1, 3" Downpipe w/200 cell, Autotech HPFP, Cpe TMIC, Cpe 3" SRI, HTP 3" tip, Amsoil filter w/Prefilter, GoFastBits BOV, Grimmspeed interrupt, NGK iridium IX, Snow Stage 2 meth w/Aquamist parts, Sure Juggernaught, Cpe diff brace.
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

This thread may help you: http://www.versatune.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=111

Lots of reading and research required :thumbup
BNR stage1, 3" Downpipe w/200 cell, Autotech HPFP, Cpe TMIC, Cpe 3" SRI, HTP 3" tip, Amsoil filter w/Prefilter, GoFastBits BOV, Grimmspeed interrupt, NGK iridium IX, Snow Stage 2 meth w/Aquamist parts, Sure Juggernaught, Cpe diff brace.
MPSpete

Post by MPSpete »

Thanks for the links Kev my mods are 3" downpipe with 200cel cat wre o2 sensors are and turbo tip, I do plan on some other's but I'm not too sure what to go for. HPFP internals maybe? are they worth it. I've got a track day booked for the 6th July so I'm hopeing on getting the car running perfect for then.
3" Catted DP 1x 200cell, Tip, Itv22, Mtech Discs, YellowStuff Pads, Autotech HPFP
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

I'd personally go for a 3" intake such as HTP(hitunedperformance)or JBR and autotech fuel pump internals for sure... Then maybe look into upgraded intercooler to help with boost air temps and help things flow a bit easier :)

Consider a pro e-tune if in doubt or someone on the uk mps forum could help you out :thumbup
MPSpete

Post by MPSpete »

I was thinking about a 3" intake but the wife won't drive the car if it's too loud, so I'm a bit stuck. If I can get it to around 280 to 290 I will be happy I will just have to persevere and do lot's of logging and reading. Thanks for your help Kev appriciated :thumbup
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You don't need a 3" intake to get the car to 280-290whp. A 2.6-2.7" intake should be enough. I have like 355bhp and all this with a cobb intake (2.68"?). Of course I'm throwing like 10whp away by not going 3", but until I'll have a 3" intake option + air box I'll stay with what I have.

For 280-290whp, in addition to what you already have, you need this:
1. HPFP internals. Even now with the high load tune and upgraded exhaust you're on the edge of what the stock HPFP can do;
2. a quiet exhaust (catted + a resonated test pipe). Maybe yours is already quiet.
3. stock cat-back.
4. a quiet rear engine mount (CS inserts on the stock RMM work fine for me now, even though I'll upgrade to the new CS mount).

Keep in mind that the exhaust adds most of the extra cabin noise. And I mentioned only the exhaust because with the stock turbo you'll be fine with the stock mounts + some inserts which, of course, you'll have to replace quite often but they will keep your brains inside your head.
As for the quiet intake... if you go the SRI route there's no quiet intake. It's not obnoxious, but the stock turbo suction sound is pretty loud especially with aluminium tips (stay silicone). I quieten mine down with an air box and it was fine after that (saw some temperature improvements as well, even though those did not add significantly more power, maybe 2-3-5whp under some special circumstances).

This is how mine sounded like with an exhaust (UR) and the cobb sri + corksport air box (which I still have). Back then I had a very sensitive microphone with my DVR camera, the radio volume is on 6 (you can hear it after one minute or so).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ16Med0ccY

So there's still more road noise than turbo+exhaust noise. But in cases like this (hoonigan driving):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hmYh1NRTU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COF8tCRKcxM
the turbo always whistles at you.
And if you want to be even quieter... go big turbo with a whatever intake and a quiet exhaust.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MPSpete

Post by MPSpete »

Wow those last two links sound awesome sound like it's running a lot of boost, :burnrubber
Are the HPFP internals that important it seems my requested frp is quite alot lower than the actual pressure.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

If you want to go past load 1.9-1.95 then yes, the HPFP internals are a must. The stock internals may start to not hold enough pressure one cold day and it takes just a few WOT runs with wacky fuel rail pressure to go Zoom-Zoom-Boom. The HPFP internals replacement it's not a costly modification and will allow you to run a bit more boost/load safely and also make you sleep well at night.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kevstewart

Post by kevstewart »

mituc wrote:If you want to go past load 1.9-1.95 then yes, the HPFP internals are a must. The stock internals may start to not hold enough pressure one cold day and it takes just a few WOT runs with wacky fuel rail pressure to go Zoom-Zoom-Boom. The HPFP internals replacement it's not a costly modification and will allow you to run a bit more boost/load safely and also make you sleep well at night.
Yeah it would be wise to get these installed :thumbup

Try www.edgeautosport.com for good price and ask for item value to be reduced for customs purposes, if you got valued at $15-$20 you'll likely avoid all fee's :beertoast