Totally stock MPS6 tune

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
moggies

Totally stock MPS6 tune

Post by moggies »

Can anyone help with a totally stock Mazda tune that they have taken (backed up) from their car before tuning?

My car came with some aggressive tune on it and I would like to try a bog standard Mazda mapping on it so I can compare the
drive ability.

I have a base 2.03 on it at the moment with terrible low speed throttle control, mainly parking and uphill reversing. There is plenty of life in the car but no low down torque and a horrendous drive when cold.

Thanks
MPS6
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Totally stock MPS6 tune

Post by mituc »

You can always do something like:
Tunes -> New and then save it and flash it, it will be a stock tune.

However, a base tune from the tunes database, unless was altered, should preserve the drivability of a stock car, 100%.

Maybe you should post a log with those moments when the car behaves, there's a chance your problem is different.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
moggies

Post by moggies »

Thanks for your reply.

I read somewhere that the stock tune was very near to standard but unclear of how close.

The stock i have installed is 2.03 91us/93eu as the fuel here is more 93/95ron.

The only things I have changed are the cold start idle speeds, to prevent the stupid fast running from cold and lowered the rev limit.
The swirl flaps have been disconnected to try and stop the sudden flat spots while maneuvering and pulling away, which has helped a little, but it only gets anywhere smooth, when closed loop/warm.
I have changed the throttle which made a large improvement to get a smooth throttle, but still not right. Is there an option within Versatune to calibrate the throttle?

If i get chance to work out how to get a log I will post it, but as its that merry time of year I have so many tasks to sort.
MPS6
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The stock is stock.
The 2.03 is not stock, however it should provide the same drivaebility as stock.
Yes you have several places to configure throttle: one section is the Acceleration Pedal calibration shich is the second from the top if I remember correctly and from there you configure the acceleration petal - throttle opening relation, the second place is the drive-by-wire where from you calibrate the throttle opening versus requested load.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
moggies

Post by moggies »

Great thanks, I'll have a deeper look for throttle and try and calibrate it.
You say stock is stock, but is there a stock map listed? I presumed the 2.03 was nearest?
Thanks
MPS6
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

moggies wrote:You say stock is stock, but is there a stock map listed? I presumed the 2.03 was nearest?
There is no need, because when you create a new tune that will start as a stock tune. That tune has exactly the same calibrations as the stock tune had, so basically the car will work indenticaly as if it had the factory tune on it.

Ideally the previous owner of the car should have provided you with the original image of the ECU which versatuner creates before installing itself into the ECU. That is the tune you had on the car from the factory (or dealer updates, before installing VT).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
moggies

Post by moggies »

On other manufactures there is normally a throttle calibration/initialization for when the throttle needs replacement or a reset, but with Mazda everything is secret and involves a dealer visit. I cant find a trustworthy aftermarket program to try it on.

There is no way of knowing what the mapping was when i bought this, as the guy i bought it from had only owned it for a short period of time before it had engine issues, that he was not prepared to tackle. Previous to him was where I think the tune was done, so the back up i have is not standard base tune from Mazda.

If this Versatune base map is around the std 256 bhp mark then the one I removed must be well over 300+ but no way of telling.

The problem is I had an old Audi S6 before which had super smooth running.
MPS6
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

moggies wrote:On other manufactures there is normally a throttle calibration/initialization for when the throttle needs replacement or a reset, but with Mazda everything is secret and involves a dealer visit. I cant find a trustworthy aftermarket program to try it on.
What you are saying here is totally different. Thotle initialization/recalibration consists in making the ECU understand what the min and max positions are. What you can tune with VT is different and is made in a context when you assume the throttle body works as expected.
At this point I'm not sure if you understand what's been said above or if you're trying to tune around a defect which you can't describe. If you could at least describe your problem more accurately...
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
moggies

Post by moggies »

Not sure what happened to my last reply on here?

Oh trust me, I completely understand!

Anyway going back to my original question, does anyone have the original stock .bck file (Mazda) from when they 1st used Versatune that they are willing to send me to try?
Just copy and save it in a separate folder, then rename it so It does not have your vin number on it.

Many thanks if anyone can help
MPS6
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You should contact Versatuner for that, they may be able to hook you up with a factory tune.
That file that you're requesting is more or less an image of the EPROM memory where the ECU has its firmware and factory calibration. I don't think that just renaming a random one with your VIN number is going to work. You may need to go to your local Mazda dealer for a factory reflash.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7