Some noobs questions

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
MiPil

Some noobs questions

Post by MiPil »

Hello,
I'am a new VT user and I have a few noobs questions. Can I ask for help?

1. Difference 95EU vs 98EU base map
Load in base 98EU map is little bigger (1,74 vs 1,697) in 3rd gear and 4000 rpm, afr is same, but the ignition timing is 2° bigger in this point. (7°/98EU vs 5° /95EU).
I think for the better fuel (93) is possible a smaller ignition time without knocking? Why is it other way around? Have a little change air mass a lot of effect for this?

2. Bold values
Bold numbers are changes compare with other maps. But several numbers are bold and are a same with compare table.

3. Safe knocking reserve
I use a 100+EU OCT fuel. It should be a reserve for knocking a is should be possible set a better ig timing for this load. (I dont have HPFP yet, therefore higher load is not possible for me yet). How many degrees is a safe reserve from the knocking? T think 2°, but its only out of earshot.

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad english. :-)
Michal
2006 MS6 - BNR S4, FMIC, BigBrakes
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Some noobs questions

Post by mituc »

1. that is correct. The more knocking resistant fuel will allow you to run a bit more timing and a bit more load (air flow).
2. They actually differ but the tuning interface exposes only a few decimals after the dot.
3. what fuel? OMV100? MOL EVO 100? BP? Something else? Yes these 100-101-102RON fuels allow for a bit more timing, and the difference is even higher after they were converted to E10 blends in spring/summer 2019. Without an upgraded fuel pump you are not safe above load 1.9-1.95. I've been targeting and hitting load 2 on my CX7 and everything was fine, but in my 3MPS the fuel pump was struggling at load 1.94 back in 2012 when I started tuning. So it also depends from car to car, which is one more reason why you should proceed with care when approaching the limits. Even if I tell you now "to be safe do not go above load 1.9 in the 3000-4500rpm area" - if your fuel pump is clogged orr one of the injectors is lazy then 1.85 may already be too much.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MiPil

Post by MiPil »

Thank you for your answer :-)
1. I have probably problem with understanding a ignition timing. 0° is the highest point of piston, right? Positive values of ignition are for preignition or for ignition after highest point?
2. Ok, thank you - its only same display values.
3. Yes - OMV100 od Benzina Verva 100. We have only 5% of ethanol yet. Maybe next comes E10. Without HPFP I stay on load 1.8 - It is OK (controlled by log) and its safe. HPFP comes in summer. :-) But i have a time for playing with a ignition time now :-)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

0 Degrees is exactly where top dead center is. Positive ignition values mean you ignite the spark plug 16 degrees in crank position BEFORE TDC. Negative timing values means you fire the spark plug after the piston starts descending into the power stroke.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MiPil

Post by MiPil »

Its a opposite logic then I thought before. Now have ignition table better meaning :-)

Next questions please - The duty cycle of injectors - default value 80%, max value 200%. What is meaning of this value? 100% duty cycle is logical fully open injector at all times and is not possible :D

Thank you for answer :-)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

MiPil wrote:The duty cycle of injectors - default value 80%, max value 200%. What is meaning of this value? 100% duty cycle is logical fully open injector at all times and is not possible :D

Thank you for answer :-)
100% duty cycle is possible with direct injection engines like the 2.3DISI-T. Actually people start running into problems if they push things hard enough to get past 108-110%. Past 100% means that the injector is spraying in the compression stroke as well, which is not good. 200% IDC means the injector is open during the entire intake stroke and the entire compression stroke and that is really bad.

On port injected engines - you are right, if the IDC gets past 60-80% (depending on various things such as valve design, camshaft lobe opening duration, and so on) the injector may end up spraying against a closed valve. But on a DI engine the spray goes directly into the cylinder.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
MiPil

Post by MiPil »

Hi,
can you help me with another one questions? In a part ,,Ignition" are ignition tables for abnormal conditions. What mean abnormal?

Thank you
Michal
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

It is unclear when they are used. Possibly in limp mode or when the check engine light is on because of some specific reasons which are unknown. Usually if your car will use those tables you will definitely not be on a track or doing hard pulls on the street, but most probably in a shop preparing for some repairs. So not crucial in tuning, leave them as they came in the stock tune.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
MiPil

Post by MiPil »

Hello,
next one please:
We have two ignition tables for each state: Base and Max timing. When we have in Max table a lower value than Base table, which value is aplied?
From a description it is not clear. :-)

Thank you for your answer
MiPil
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Base table is applied and whatever you write in there it will not go higher than what's in the Max table in the corresponding cell.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7