Desired AFR not matching whats in tables and rich condition on spool up.

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Desired AFR not matching whats in tables and rich condition on spool up.

Post by mituc »

Lolmooses wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 11:55 am I still have these weird lean spots during a 2nd and 3rd gear pull. The lean spots are now occurring at the same MAF volts range, so I went to adjust the MAF cal, but the numbers just don't make sense.
If the MAF cal is not spot on you may notice such weird situations in lower gears where the load and RPM ramp faster which means there's also less time for corrections. Also, even with upgraded internals below like 4000rpm such lean sports are not unseen if you shoot for high load (and also reach it) in the lower gears if you don't have some sort of aux fuelling that can also react to some input (boost usualy).
So what intake do you have? Maybe I have a good MAF cal for it somewhere in the dozens of tunes I made for various people...
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

The intake is a corksport stage 2. Updated my signature to list what's been done to my car.
2006 MS6: CS HPFP internals, stage 2 CS intake, CP-E TMIC, CS catback with racepipe, GFB hybrid BOV, CS EBCS
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

So an update, I tried a maf cal from Cobb for the CS intake I have and.....bad idea. It ran very lean under WOT. I went back to my last revision. Strangely enough, the pulls with the Cobb MAF cal exhibited the same pattern of really rich and then really lean right spool up. The AFR curve very similar to pulls I posted last time except much leaner. Just for shits I adjusted the MAF cal for the spots that go lean and rich. I now have values that are larger than the one coming after it and the AFR curve is better but this obviously isn't the right way to do things. Could it possibly be something outside of the tune at this point?
2006 MS6: CS HPFP internals, stage 2 CS intake, CP-E TMIC, CS catback with racepipe, GFB hybrid BOV, CS EBCS
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The MAF cals from Cobb or even CS for some intake they have are absolute disaster. It's safer to scale a factory MAF cal and account for air filter permissivity than using those. I've found weird flaws even in the ones from Stratified.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

I can now see why LOL. It was not even close. I have a new air filter and MAF cleaner coming in today. I'll try those and see if it helps. I bought the car with this intake on it so who knows how long it's been since either have been done.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

CobbSRI-MAF-Cal-20200804.csv
(744 Bytes) Downloaded 216 times
Here it is, use this one.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

This looks much better than the Cobb one I used, definitely a lot richer comparatively. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again!
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

So I did a few pulls with that MAF calibration. Car runs fine but unfortunately its doing the same thing, dips rich on spool up (low 10's) , then goes lean (12's) at full load and evens out slowly to what it's supposed to be.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Still commanding loads above like 2.2-2.25 at 3000? Can you post another log?
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Lolmooses

Post by Lolmooses »

Yeah, I'm targeting 2.22 at 3000 rpm and 2.3 onwards, but its going a little bit higher than that since its not so hot out like it has been. I attached two logs and the tune itself.
Attachments
Mituc MAF Cal Test v1.00.vtune
(124.13 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Pull #2 8-5-20.csv
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Pull #1 8-5-20.csv
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 198 times