Newbie from Iceland has few questions

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mazda 6 mps iceland

Newbie from Iceland has few questions

Post by mazda 6 mps iceland »

Hi there, I recently bought Versatuner for my Mazda 6 mps. I have no power mods so far except I ported the head, intake manifold and throttle body when I was rebuilding the engine (stock internals).

Since 98 octane gas can only be bought at 2 places in my country I would need to have tune for high flow cat and 3" maf housing running 95 octane gas on for daily driving.
Is that possible?

I have about 500$ to spend on it this week and and would like some review on what to buy. I´m making a custom 3" 1 peace intake/tip from stainless steel so I don´t need to buy that.

I was thinking of buying Autotech internals and 3" ebay downpipe or should I buy water/meth instead of internals because my gas quality?

And the last question is should I make some airflow straightener or honeycomb for my maf?

Here are my first logs. Datalog 2 is the first one with the stock tune and Datalog 3 is with base versatuner 95oct map

Best regards from Iceland and sorry for my english
Attachments
data log 3.zip
Base versatuner 95 oct tune
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Data log 2.zip
Stock tune
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Newbie from Iceland has few questions

Post by mituc »

If you can source meth easily (and legally) in your country then probably this is the mod you will benefit from the most both by lowering even more the boosted air temperature AND (very important) raising the octane of the mixture in the cylinders when you''re on boost.
Since you're on factory turbo and in a relatively cold climate I'd leave the factory downpipe in place (or replace it with a 3" catted downpipe) but I'd replace the second catalytic converter with a catless test pipe. A higher flowing intake will also help.

Anything you do make sure you have the autotech internals fitted and working properly. So above all this should be the first purchase you do.

With meth, a higher flowing intake (not necessarily 3", but since you're at this step find a 3"), and a test pipe (and of course with the autotech internals) you should be able to get your car to about 280-290whp on 91OCT/95RON gas (when fully stock the 6MPS at 210-215-220whp with 93OCT gas). With all these mods and 93 OCT gas but without meth you should get about 240-250whp I think.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mazda 6 mps iceland

Thanks for the great answer mituc. I forgot to mention I already replaced the second catalytic converter with straight pipe. I have a good legal source for methanol but I don´t now what system I should run and what nozzle setup. How much work is to get it properly tuned with water/meth?

Also have a small question about knock in my logs. I´m seeing a 3rd gear spike knock spike that was 5-6° in the stock tune and 2-3° with the base 95 tune any idea why?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

If it's during normal driving then it's the ECU adapting the timing advance for the best fuel economy. if it's during WOT... hard to tell. Post a log (export it to CSV) so that we can take a look.
As for the nozzle setup - I can't tell exactly either, but for the stock turbo I'd go with DO5 or DO7. Get both and see how it goes.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mazda 6 mps iceland

The first 2 logs are attached to the first post, knock spike is during WOT.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Yes, but those logs are binary.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Ok, I checked your logs.
I can see only one big KR value in the data log 2 at line 61 - if you will export it as CSV. It happened right before you up-shifted so it's hard to tell now if it was just mechanical noise from something moving in the engine bay, after fire in the exhaust due to the relatively rich mixture and absence of the second cat, or if it was real knock.

The gas you have there is pretty knock resistant to be honest. As long as you do not get high retard values consistently in that area (RPM/load/BAT/timing) I'd say to forget about it.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mazda 6 mps iceland

This week I installed a 3" catless ebay downpipe. I´m still using 95 octane gas since I can´t get 98 for now. I´m using a verstatune map for catless downpipe (Not high load) with 3" maf sensor table from another versatune map.

Is the fuel quality ok or do I need a custom map?

Best regard from Iceland

Finnur
Attachments
Data log 1.csv
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Looks ok to me, and I think there's room for more.
Your MAF cal may be a bit off though, the AFRs dip into high 9's and stay around low 10's too much.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mazda 6 mps iceland

Thanks for the answer mituc. Will be doing a maf calibration soon.

What software do you use to view the csv files. I tried excel but it´s not working well enough for me