Just Getting Started

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
kwambe5

Just Getting Started

Post by kwambe5 »

Hello to all! :welcome I just purchased the lite version on Versatuner and am wondering what would be the OTS tune for my mods. I have currently, Cobb SRI and TIP combo, stock downpipe (For now) with a 2.5" cat back (second cat deleted). I have plentiful access to 93 oct (US) here and that is what I use all the time. Occasionally I will run some octane booster (Octanium from VP fuels). Here in the near future, I will be installing CS HPFP internals and downpipe, plus full 3" exhaust. The reason why I ask, is because I see a tune for SRI w/TIP but it is for 91 oct and I am not sure how much of a difference the octane will make.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Well, since I first posted this, I have now upgraded to the 'pro' level of VersaTuner and have messed around with combining the tune for 93oct high load and the 91oct w/SRI&TIP. Basically anything dealing with boost control in the 91 tune, I copied over to the 93 tune. Good idea or no????? ;)
kwambe5

Re: Just Getting Started

Post by kwambe5 »

I am really not looking for somebody to do a tune for me, just advise and/or pointers. I just don't want to mess things up!!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I'd say the combo you came up with from the high load tune and the boost control part from a tune for aftermarket DP should work fine even if it's a bit conservative (which is ok).
Since you basically have a stock exhaust (deleting a resonator is not significant since you have both factory cats still on, and at least the second one is a bigger restriction than any of the resonators in the factory exhaust).

Also, you can find a Cobb SRI mafcal somewhere here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=231
The factory MAF calibration is ok as well as long as you do not change the closed loop load limits which is set by default to a convenient value in the stock tune as well in the OTS tunes so that the ECU will adjust the fueling on the fly.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kwambe5

Post by kwambe5 »

Ahhh, ok. I have stumbled across that thread and have begun tweaking my tune with those MAF cals. However, you mention resonator begin removed, but I have taken everything from the second catalytic converter back to the tips, out on my exhaust. So, basically I have a straight pipe from the stock downpipe back. Unless I'm confused about there being another cat in the section where people put a race pipe.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

kwambe5 wrote: January 17th, 2021, 2:48 amSo, basically I have a straight pipe from the stock downpipe back. Unless I'm confused about there being another cat in the section where people put a race pipe.

You've mentioned you deleted the 2nd cat, I misread it for some reason and in my mind it was that you had the 2nd resonator deleted.

Import this logging preset in your dashboard, load it, take a 3rd gear log from 3000rpm to 6500rpm and post it here.
6MPS-OL-Logging-2.vtpre
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kwambe5

Post by kwambe5 »

Ok. Give me a few hours!

Thanks for your help!!!
kwambe5

Post by kwambe5 »

Here ya go!
20210117LogOL-Logging.zip
(7.76 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
kwambe5

Post by kwambe5 »

I took two others if you want them as well. One is in imperial units cause I forgot to change my settings, but if you want it, I can give it to you as well.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Whatever units you used I'm ok with, I can read any units.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
kwambe5

Post by kwambe5 »

ok. The one I sent is in metric. Let me know what you think. :)