Mazdaspeed 6 Highly modified startup

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
Mazdaspeed6

Re: Mazdaspeed 6 Highly modified startup

Post by Mazdaspeed6 »

Tried to load pictures but they are to big, so listed below are the summed up mods

Pistons
Rods
85 beehive springs
ported head
St intake
Balance delete
arp everything
port injection (not currently up and running)
CST6 corksport turbo (4inch inlet)
JBR 4" intake
Keyed crack
HPFP internals
4 port boost controller
front mount intercooler
corksport throttle body
4bar boost sensor

I know im missing stuff but you hopefully get the major stuff
Mazdaspeed6

Post by Mazdaspeed6 »

So I think that MAF cal may have a part in this startup thing from what I can tell. I have been looking though everything online and cant seem to find a good way to scale however. I think its important that everyone on here helping me understands that I am just trying to make it run enough to hopefully get it to a tuning shop. I am not looking to drive it around town untuned. I am also in Colorado and I am not finding any tuners that will touch it either because they don't know this tuning software or have no idea how to attack a MZR engine. I am getting a little frustrated at this point but along with helping me start it does anyone know a decent tuner that would have a clue on tuning the MZR with this software in or around denver?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Mazdaspeed6 wrote: April 10th, 2022, 7:50 am Ok, sorry things have been busy and it took so long. Here is a new one with requested items. Also it is a 4" intake.
Ok, good, easy to fix issue: your primary O2 sensor is shot. Change it. Use either OEM or the equivalent NGK/NTK part.

Also, when asking for help please considering following the advice of those trying to help you:
mituc wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:34 pm Can you please add some common and very useful parameters in this situation such as engine RPM, short term fuel trims,engine load, mass air flow sensor voltage, and take another log? With the params you logged we can barely see when the engine was on and off.
^^ this. Some parameters really help a ton in diagnosing such issues, they are not present in your logging.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Mazdaspeed6

Post by Mazdaspeed6 »

I added those to my log and posted it on the second one, did that not show up on the post?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

It's simple, just check your dashboard :) You only added a few of those parameters.

As for the O2 sensor issue, the reason for the readings we see may be the fact that it doesn't come up to temp.
So disconnect the MAF sensor harness, start your car with the MAF disconnected, let it idle for 1 minute, connect the MAF (expect the engine to shut down - it's ok).
Log the whole process by adding the following parameters on your dashboard (and remove whatever else you have in there and is not in this list):
- engine load
- engine rpm
- fuel rail pressure (actual, NOT desired!)
- short term fuel trims
- maf g/s
- maf voltage
- manifold absolute pressure (make sure the MAP is calibrated on your dashboard similarly to how you have it in your tune - if you have an aftermarket MAP sensor)
- actual afr
- desired afr
- relative throttle position
- engine coolant temperature
- boosted air temperature
- knock retard
- ignition timing advance
- actual valve advance
- wastegate duty cycle

...and remove anything else!

Start logging BEFORE you start the engine (leave the key to on and log for 5-10 seconds before starting the engine) and you can stop logging once the engine shuts down. If when you connect the MAF sensor the engine will not shut down then CONTINUE logging even if the RPM is oscillating or does some other weird things, whatever it does at that point the data gathered will help us figure this out.

As for the intake, if it's not a secret, would you mind telling us what brand is it, eventually provide a link to the exact product your purchased? Maybe if you break this secret we can provide you with a proper MAF calibration for it. I've had people telling me they have a 3" intake they were measuring the outside diameter of the pipe, the internal diameter being exactly stock size. So I just want to be sure it's not one of those things.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP