New to Versatuner/Tuning

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
TheHartman87

New to Versatuner/Tuning

Post by TheHartman87 »

Hi, my name is Stephen and I recently purchased a 2006 MS6 grand touring. He sold me the versatuner with it and told me he had the car update with different tunes from the website to fix little issues with the car (one is specific was the fluttering between shifts). The car is completely stock to this point, but I have a CPE SRI and Turbo Inlet Pipe that I will be installing soon. I have read on different forums that it is necessary to tune the ecu after these changes but I wanted to verify if this is true, or maybe while it isnt necessary, it still might be a good idea for the health of the car. Eventually down the road I will be getting an exhaust system (not sure which one yet) and possibly upgrade the intercooler (deciding if I want to just upgrade the top mount, or convert it to a front mount). My brother in law is quite experienced with tuning cars and installing aftermarket parts, but he has never dealt with Mazdas specifically so I am trying to collect whatever information I can not only for my knowledge but to also tell him as he will be helping me with most if not all the upgrading of parts. Any information that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: New to Versatuner/Tuning

Post by mituc »

Hi Stephen,

Indeed, adjusting the ECU parameters when making even small hardware changes is the right approach. Once you fit your new intake take a look here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... es-124734/ and see if you can find the right calibration vector for it. the CP-e SRI is slightly larger than the factory so it requires changes in the tune for the car t work properly, or even to work (if the intake is too big the car will shut down after a few seconds after starting it up).

My advice is to not touch the exhaust until you upgrade the fuel pump internals. You can upgrade the intercooler though. Up to some power levels the TMIC would work just fine. I'm still using a TMIC now even if I have a larger turbo installed.

If you want to make your car significantly faster you will have to take a look here before proceeding further: http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-modi ... d-vehicle/ . Also, making sure that even now when it's bone stock the car is truly ok will help and give you peace of mind when moving further.
The best place to read about how to modify your mazdaspeed car (or the CX7 with the 2.3DISI-T engine) is the Mazdaspeed forum: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/ At first the volume of information available may overwhelm you, so give it some time before you make decisions. Also make sure you read before you ask, the people there tend to be a bit harsh with the lazy newcomers :)

If you have any further questions about how to use your Versatuner don't hesitate to ask here. Good luck!
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP