Pops and Crackles Disappeared

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
phonk

Pops and Crackles Disappeared

Post by phonk »

Was using this tune as a base: Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load with High Flow Down Pipe and Crackle and Pop.
Lots of pops and crackles with the stock airbox and catless down pipe with headers.
Added a 3" MAF full intake and dual-port blow off valve. Have it set to 75% recirc and 25% vent to atmosphere.
Pops and crackles have almost all but disappeared. Occasionally will hear one or two. But nothing even close to what it was before.
Need some help with this.
phonk

Re: Pops and Crackles Disappeared

Post by phonk »

After logging, noticed that I wasn't dropping below the default 0.1875 load value to trigger the retarded ignition timing on decel.
I related this to having raised the IDLE RPM - In Gear to 700 and IDLE RPM - AC ON - In Gear to 800. But could be other reasons.
Also switched the BOV to 50-50 because... Pssshhhh. Got the tension right as well.

To get pops back, both at idle revs and in gear:
- I increased the load to 0.250 for some RPMs in the Closed/Open Loop Max Ignition Timing Extended.
- Unchecked the Disable Decel Fuel Cut option (bringing back engine braking).
- Adjusted the 2250 to 7000 RPM range in Decel Fuel Cut Requested Load Threshold (between 0.015 and 0.05).

I actually prefer having the fuel continue to flow while deceling, less jerky when letting off the throttle. So I might recheck the fuel cut option and see how that plays out. Fine tuning MAF Cals right now, so not gonna flash anything yet.
Columbus3112

Post by Columbus3112 »

phonk wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:54 pm After logging, noticed that I wasn't dropping below the default 0.1875 load value to trigger the retarded ignition timing on decel.
I related this to having raised the IDLE RPM - In Gear to 700 and IDLE RPM - AC ON - In Gear to 800. But could be other reasons.
Also switched the BOV to 50-50 because... Pssshhhh. Got the tension right as well.

To get pops back, both at idle revs and in gear:
- I increased the load to 0.250 for some RPMs in the Closed/Open Loop Max Ignition Timing Extended.
- Unchecked the Disable Decel Fuel Cut option (bringing back engine braking).
- Adjusted the 2250 to 7000 RPM range in Decel Fuel Cut Requested Load Threshold (between 0.015 and 0.05).

I actually prefer having the fuel continue to flow while deceling, less jerky when letting off the throttle. So I might recheck the fuel cut option and see how that plays out. Fine tuning MAF Cals right now, so not gonna flash anything yet.
Hi!

Could you tell me how your decel fuel cut req table exactly looks? I have the same problem and tried a lot but I cannot get any popping or burbling going
phonk

Post by phonk »

These are the current settings I am using:
It goes from 2k up.

I found that when you let off the gas, you have to very slightly apply a little pressure to the gas pedal to get the pops and crackles to work sometimes.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

phonk wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 10:01 am I found that when you let off the gas, you have to very slightly apply a little pressure to the gas pedal to get the pops and crackles to work sometimes.
This is pretty much the expected behaviour when not disabling decel fuel cut completely.
phonk wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 10:01 am After logging, noticed that I wasn't dropping below the default 0.1875 load value to trigger the retarded ignition timing on decel.
This may happen either because your MAF cal is not right or because you have a vacuum leak.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP