Not hitting boost/load targets anymore

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
kish89

Not hitting boost/load targets anymore

Post by kish89 »

Hello,

Alex from Stratified Tuning tuned my car 1.5year ago, car is running fine now, except I felt lately that I lost some power.
Targeted load is 2.4-2.45 from 3-6k RPMs, and boost is limited to ~23-24PSI with few tables (BCS, baro, intake temp etc.)

Looking at older logs (1.5y old) in cold weather (2-3C) I was hitting those targets, while in warmer weather average load was 2.2-2.3 but with max allowed boost of 23-24PSI so everything was working ok.

But now, in cold weather I'm barely hitting 2.3 LOAD, because boost is somehow limited to ~20PSI. There are no boost leaks and everything seems fine.
So I did some modifications to BCS DC table and raised it by +10% across the board(I did try with lower values but there is almost no effect), and that gave me only ~1PSI of boost and of course slightly bigger loads.
I did few 3rd and 4th gear logs, and after that I did pull with 3rd to 4th shifting, I got huge boost spike (27PSI) with high KR.
So obviously changes made to BCS DC are working, but I'm really not sure why it seems that those changes only have effect while doing WOT with gear change.

I have attached logs.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Attachments
v10.0_8C.zip
(39.48 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
Last edited by kish89 on March 13th, 2016, 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
Tuned with Image by Image
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Not hitting boost/load targets anymore

Post by mituc »

What turbo do you have? By looking at the timing advance values and injector duty cycle it looks like you do, and if the atomisation is not good it may result into some loss of power.
Personally I'd send Alex an email and ask for his opinion, it's easier for him to spot any problem given his experience and the fact that is his tune and he knows what can be the effects of various issues on it.

Also, keep in mind that these tunes, even if they are not locked, they are still intellectual property of the tuner. So posting them around may not be fair.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kish89

Post by kish89 »

I have BNR S3. Car did lost some power, but this is due lower boost - 20PSI now vs 23-24PSI before.
Problem is that I can't determine where I'm loosing that boost, because I don't have a boost leak and tune was not changed and I'm not hitting boost limits in a tune (23-24PSI). So I raised values in BCS DC table and I got only 1PSI across the rev range, but with +10% WGDC across the board I should get at least 3-4PSI, especially because going WOT I got 27PSI boost spike at shifting gears.

I did contact Alex, but since he is a really busy guy, while waiting for his reply I'm just asking for some help here.

btw. I deleted attached map, but I doubt that someone could directly use it on their car without major modifications

edit:
forgot to say that I have BNR S3 first version, but few months ago I changed only exhaust housing to latest version, because mine had som cracks in it and bolts were constantly backing out.
I did test WG with compressor air, and it seems that It's fully opening/closing
Eagle con. rods, Forge BPV, CorkSport SRI + TIP, Autotech HPFP internals, Custom Testpipe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

If you changed the exhaust housing (which is a very important note in this case) maybe you need to give the wastegate arm a bit more preload, if that is possible.
Of course, upping the BCSDC base table values should have accomplished similar boost at least up to a point, assuming that the arm and actuator are moving freely like before, but if the arm preload is different the response across the entire duty cycle board chanced as well.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
kish89

Post by kish89 »

I guess I'll need to give more preload to WG arm, because obviously changes made to BCS doesn't work as supposed.
Thanks.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

Ok, I did give more preload to WG arm, and now boost values are ok. But I have new problem.
When going WOT and shifting I got +3-4PSI boost spike right after the shift.
What should I do? This is my BCS DC table.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (217.39 KiB) Viewed 20775 times
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

First, make sure that the BCS DC base values are not too high. Do a log of WOT in 3rd from 2000 - and look at actual logged BCS DC vs the base values. If the base values are higher than the logged values lower them.

When you have confirmed that your logged and base DC values are close, look at the Requested Load Multiplier Accel/Decel Adjustment tables. These are used to deal with shifting and turbo inertia.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

BCS DC table looks good, WD DC % in logs is around +3-7% more than in table, so that's ok.

I guess I'll need to play with Accel/Decel tables.

Thanks.
kish89

Post by kish89 »

Just one more question. I have problem (so far confirmed) when going WOT from 3rd to 4th.
In which table should I lower values:
Requested load multiplier Accel/Decel Adjustment 3rd Gear with APP Increase
or
Requested load multiplier Accel/Decel Adjustment 4th Gear with APP Increase

I assume that I need to change values in 4th gear table ~ Previous RPM 6000+ and Current RPM 5000+ ?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 20768 times
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Yes. The 4th gear table is the one you want.