Just ordered Versatuner....could use any advice

Discussion of tuning specific to CX-7 vehicles
jlr8185

Just ordered Versatuner....could use any advice

Post by jlr8185 »

hey guys, i just ordered VT this morning for a 2007 cx 7 GT AWD. i have had other imports before but none with a turbo. i am familiar with how turbos work and how engines work. i have spent the last week learning all a could about how the 2.3 DISI turbo engine works. VT is the first of several upgrades i will be add to the cx 7 in the next few months. upgrades will include a corksports stage II short ram air intake with turbo inlet pipe, an SSQV BOV setup for recirculation, a boost cut killer module, EGR block kit, and a possible dual stage boost controller. any advice on how to optimally tune for these upgrades or if all of these upgrades will even be needed (b/c i dont know everything i can do with VT yet).
thank you guys for your time,
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Just ordered Versatuner....could use any advice

Post by mituc »

Blocking the EGR will only hurt your fuel economy at this stage and will make the exhaust temperatures to be higher during normal cruising which past some extent may hurt the turbo and catalytic converters.
Dual Stage boost controller - not sure what you're trying to accomplish but you don;t have enough turbo on this car for more EBCS.

What does that boost cut killer module does? The boost cut is to protect your engine, why would not add a module to eliminate that protection?!

What I'd do:
1. fuel pump internals. CS or autotech;
2. catch can (since you're worried about the EGR sending soot back into the intake manifold);
3. an intake - you have that on your list already;
4. why not, an upgraded TMIC;
5. for the BPV I'd go with either Cobb or CS, the HKS SSQV setup is more complicated for a very simple function;
6. if you really want to go extreme, then add a meth kit to cool down the charge of that tiny K03 and also wash away the dirt sent back from the EGR and PCV. However, you should get a larger turbo for this, at least the factory K04 from a manual CX7 or a 3MPS/6MPS/Mazdaspeed3/Mazdaspeed6. If you go larger than that (BNR S3 or a GT/GTX 28 turbo) you may also need higher flowing cats, one step colder sparkplugs and a 3 port EBCS to replace the factory 2port.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Dropen

Re: Just ordered Versatuner....could use any advice

Post by Dropen »

I just ordered versatuner and they send me the link today.

I will try Wayne's tunning when the cable arrives to see how does it works.