Dyno Day.

Discussion of tuning specific to CX-7 vehicles
Sassimac

Dyno Day.

Post by Sassimac »

Hello All...

I still feel like my nerves are shot to hell after watching my car on a dyno......

Anyway, today was sponsored by the Team at VersaTune in search of a great all round base tune for the CX7 model. Steve, I hope it was not too late in the night your way.

It was scary to see the difference between stock and tuned. The gains were simply massive! I will not pre-empt the VersaTune base file. I'll let the guys release that info after I get the charts to them. I feel some good files can be made from the data we logged. I am sure of that.

What I will say, is my v1.14 file performed pretty well. In a nutshell,
- A gain of 10kw in peak power over stock (I only use a max 1.8 load, barely above stock),
- Approximately 25kw in the top end,
- Approximately a 20% gain in lowend torque.

And I still got 9.8L/100km on the way home from the Dyno-shop.

I so need a drink now........
Tuned with Image by Image
Now not a Beta Tester. Proud Owner of a Personal License.

I use ECU Tools for iPhone to help with Boost & AFR conversions..!!

Mods include: ETS TMIC, K&N Filter and Turbosmart BOV.
aviator79

Re: Dyno Day.

Post by aviator79 »

9.8L/KM? thats 24mpg! Really?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I average 22-24 mpg with my 6 in mostly city driving. I'm not shy with the accelerator either.
aviator79

Post by aviator79 »

Ya, thats why I think 14mpg that we are getting in the CX-7 is crazy. It does not weigh that much more. It is not that much bigger. What really pisses me off is how Mazda advertize it like its so aerodynamic compared to other boxy SUVs, but at 14mpg WTF!
But knowing that my MS^ can get 20+ easy unless I am WOT all the time I know there is better MPGs to be gotten out of the CX-7. It has a smaller turbo and auto, so those things affect it. Smaller turbo should not matter too much as the auto tries to shift early keeping out of higher RPMs where it is less efficient. I wonder what versatuner with a MS6 KO4 would do...hmmm. May find out when I go BT on my MS6. Anyways, trying to get more data on CX-7 pre and post versatune from my other post, but even with a mild increase say from 14mpg to 17 mpg it is worth it. I mean it is worth it for the other gains, but to be honest I am only interested in the gains to be had from increased MPGs at the moment as my wife drives the car mostly and I have my MS6 to play with.
Sassimac

Post by Sassimac »

To be honest, massive performance gains were not my target. I wanted to achieve better economy and a more responsive low-mid throttle. And I believe I have done just that.
Tuned with Image by Image
Now not a Beta Tester. Proud Owner of a Personal License.

I use ECU Tools for iPhone to help with Boost & AFR conversions..!!

Mods include: ETS TMIC, K&N Filter and Turbosmart BOV.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

There's really not a lot of room for power gains with that little turbo. A turbo upgrade would wake it up. I'm not sure what that transmission can handle though.