2007 CX-7 FWD - Need help tuning

Discussion of tuning specific to CX-7 vehicles
marauder

2007 CX-7 FWD - Need help tuning

Post by marauder »

Hi VersaTune forum! :wave

Just purchased and have installed my base tune with Versatuner.

FYI - very analytical person, complete novice at tuning. So any help from the community would be greatly appreciated.

My CX-7 mods started with the CorkSport CAI/TIP followed by the Forge BPV.

When I bought the vehicle had higher miles on but the engine had been rebuilt. The turbo, however, likely had 150k+ miles on it. It eventually took a dump on me and also fried my precat. Natural male logic, buy the speedsix turbo but why stop there, let's get the protege garage reworked k04 from a speedsix. Also purchased the CorkSport powerseries downpipe, which BTW on the stock engine mounts is near impossible to make enough clearance - still hitting on the firewall. :banghead

So, in total my mods are as follows:
CorkSport Intake and Turbo Inlet Pipe
Forge BPV - Blue Spring 2 shims
CorkSport PowerSeries Downpipe
Protege Garage Reworked K04 from a SpeedSix

My problem is this, after installing the mods, at about 2200-3200rpm, I assume when the turbo is spooling up,I'm getting a really annoying chatter from the bpv which also creates a nice bucking effect that can only be resolved by more throttle or less throttle. Additionally, under harder acceleration it will have a rather violent hiccup... so passing on the freeway is a bit problematic at the moment.

So my question for you guys is simple. What information can I log and share with the forum to help me out on creating a tune for these mods? I have no idea what information to modify in the tables, or even where to begin. Again, complete novice here so please be as detailed as possible in what you need. I highly doubt anyone is in the Cincinnati, OH USA area to help me in person, but if so let me know.

Thanks guys! :thumbup
marauder

Re: 2007 CX-7 FWD - Need help tuning

Post by marauder »

I can paypal someone if it takes paying for their time to get a decent tune. This thing is a pain to drive at the moment. I'm not trying to build a drag car, I just need to compensate for the mods I've installed.

C'mon guys, help a fellow MZR out! :burnrubber
lildisco

Post by lildisco »

If you're willing to pay, there's this option:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php ... pvf52rlva5

I would browse the gen1 speed6/speed3 forums & see what tunes people are running for similar mods. I'm currently running 'waynes tune' but he didn't have a down pipe & what not. You could download it & use it & see if it makes it more driveable. Or you can compare the tunes & logs & see what works best for you.

I'm like you & don't know much about tuning. I can't seem to sit down log enough & learn what i need to know & build a custom tune myself.
marauder

Post by marauder »

Hopefully someone can take a look at this log and analyze what's going on. Two things happen in this log, the boost issue and the hiccup under heavy acceleration.

I pull out of a parking lot, wait a bit to pull onto main road, then eventually get onto the freeway. My problematic areas are 2200-3000ish rpm and heavy acceleration. Any help on this folks? I'm running the 93 octane tune with some modification to the BCS DC Base table, but I'm not making drastic changes until I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for any help folks! :beertoast
Attachments
General performance.csv
(287.74 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
marauder

Post by marauder »

Found a local tuner, will have them sort me out on the dyno. :woot
marauder

Post by marauder »

Thanks versa tune, with your software I was able to get 210hp and 315lb/ft torque was my best on an AWD dyno that I'm told reads lower than true whp. Took 3 hours for the tune.

I had them richen it up a bit to be safe on my final tune. Here's the dyno on the final tune I am running. I just ordered new coils, still dealing with a P0300/P0303/etc...

Check out that torque curve!!! :drive
Attachments
20140321_235652.jpg
20140321_235652.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 17782 times
Screenshot_2014-03-22-00-28-27.png
Screenshot_2014-03-22-00-28-27.png (416.46 KiB) Viewed 17782 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The torque curve looks a bit shaky, probably because the WGDC is not yet properly tuned and the ECU is making a lot of corrections to keep the load around the target.
I bet in the hands of an e-tuner (Stratified) you will get at least 20 more hp...
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
marauder

Post by marauder »

The Reworked MS6 K04 makes a lot of boost at lower rpm. The problem is that my BCS DC Tables are near zero for all and still making way too much boost in that rpm range...giving me a lot of flutter.

Can someone analyze this log and tell me what exactly is happening? Around 2250-3000rpm I get a lot of flutter. This is due to being tuned inside on a 70+ degree fahrenheit day and it dropping to below 30 the last week. What can I do?

This thing rips in WOT, but driving a heavy suv around town at partial throttle or lugging up hills is where I am having problems.
Attachments
BCS DC Base.JPG
BCS DC Base.JPG (116.34 KiB) Viewed 17752 times
General performance.csv
(213.12 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

It looks to be that the boost control part is not working. The WGDC duty cycle is always 0 or around 0 even when around line 1230 (learn to trim these huge logs, please!) at only 25% throttle you hit load 1.88 at 2800ish rpm.

So check the boost control solenoid and make sure all the hoses are connected, check the wiring and make sure the connector is there, and so on.

If you took any logs at WOT please post them. I would not advise to get any new logs considering the potential issue your car has. For more details about what parameters you should log take a look here:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/Stratifie ... 0008.3.doc - section 5, "A WOT Datalog".

So as you can see the shop you've got the tune from tuned you while you were having a major issue which can turn into ZZB in no time. Never ignore the advice you get on this forum or on MSF, especially when you are about to purchase some services from a shop or person with no proven experience on this platform. It's your money and you do what you want with them, but as a fellow forum member and 2.3DISI-T king_of_the_hill owner we'd like you to spend them wisely so that we can continue having fun together for a long time.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
marauder

Post by marauder »

Thanks for the advice, here's the last WOT dyno pull log from the tune.
Attachments
dyno7.csv
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 503 times