Versatuner Base tunes

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
Poachersun

Versatuner Base tunes

Post by Poachersun »

Hi guys,

So just wondering a few things:

1. The base Gen2 tune (91US/95EU) Octane - slightly increased boost. What is the target boost (and gears) on this relatively stock tune?
2. Same above for the 93/98 Octane
3. Same above for the 93/98 Octane high load.

Also from what i can tell i will want to install an HPFP before i try/use the 93/98 high load base?

A few comments as well regarding the software:

It would be cool if the software was able to let you know what tune you currently had on your car.
It would also be useful if you were able to view the stock figures/base maps of the stock tune (i guess this is hard since the base, returning the car to stock maps are in a different language etc for Versatuner)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Versatuner Base tunes

Post by mituc »

You can always create a new tune which will be stock, save it, and then compare the above mentioned tunes to that to see the differences for load, timing, boost limits and other limits. There are several relevant differences.
These tunes work with load targets, not boost. It's a bit more consistent and safe and the price you pay is that you can't run all the time at the boost limit you have in mind.

Even for a gen1, but especially for a gen2, you should really upgrade the pump internals before anything else.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

All of those tunes are safe for the stock HPFP. An HPFP upgrade is required to go over 2.0 load.

In Tune Editor, on the General tab, you can choose what you want to compare the current tune to. Then, mouse over a cell, and you will see the value for that cell in the comparison tune. Mituc's instructions are a great way to compare entire tables side by side.
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

Hmm. Thanks for reply

I didnt do full logs but the 98 high load in 4th wot saw 1550 or slightly less on fuel pump. Around 18psi? Decided not to risk and drove home to change tune back.

Only ran it for 2 quick WOTs but only to about 5500rpm. Then got a turbo whine noise and white smoke on idle.

Inspected turbo and it has heaps of play and clearly stuffed. Crappy k04 :cry:
Gen2 84km

Doubtfull its tune related but clearly turbo didnt like it.

Looking into hpfp and corksport turbo upgrades.