Question on Versatuner maps and the timing

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
suchamoneypit

Question on Versatuner maps and the timing

Post by suchamoneypit »

On your Base 93 Octane High Load map, I am new to tuning and trying to learn and one way is by comparing stock to your tune to see what you've modified and to understand the reasoning why,

Why is the Timing Normal map modified from stock to have advanced timing in some areas (which means more power right?), but the Timing Open Loop Max isn't? I get that you don't mess with the closed loop as I presume its low level driving and we aren't trying to make any gains there, I would get why you might tweak the normal timing map, but isn't open loop occurring at WOT? Why would you not adjust timing when your WOT? Isn't that where you really want to make adjustments? Is that map not used/referenced by the ECU in the way I think?
2011 Mazdaspeed3
Street Unit TMIC - Cobb SRI - Cobb Catback - Corksport BPV - HPFP - Cobb RMM - Rear seat/sub/spare tire delete - Rays Mazdaspeed Forged Alu. Wheels - 1 mazdaspeed sticker (+10hp)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Question on Versatuner maps and the timing

Post by mituc »

Because the target timing is already way below the MAX values.
Actual timing is the base timing minus various values which tend to compensate for high BAT, high ECT, overload, wheel spin, detonation, and so on.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP