Deactivate pops & crackles in the lower RPMs

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
rsar

Re: Deactivate pops & crackles in the lower RPMs

Post by rsar »

mituc wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm
rsar wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm No, I believe it still stock.
The tune above will work for cars without upgraded fuel pump internals, however, the fact that you have a way better flowing exhaust some custom tuning of the wastegate duty cycle table is required.

Going with exhaust mods and no fuel pump internals and intercooler upgrades is not only useless (because you can make the same power on the stock turbo because the safe limits are below the max capabilities of the stock setup anyway) but also dangerous especially (but not limited to) gen2 3MPS/Mazdaspeed3. So I suggest to get pump upgrades last week and install them yesterday :) Any pump internals you want, not particularly in this order: Autotech, CorkSport, Cobb, VIS Motorsports.
Thank you for the suggestion :cool . Fuel pump upgrade is next. Just out of curiosity, how much boost from your attached tune will produce? My current tune , can get around 130kPa of boost and the actual lambda is 0.8, fuel rail press 12400kpa. Is it still safe for the stock engine and turbo ?

Most of my flashed was to get rid of KR :banghead . Last time as high as 3 degree, pulled out some timing in the specific area, now KR around 0.05 to 0.5.
Last edited by rsar on August 13th, 2020, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

These tunes target load, not boost. They only have boost limits for protection purposes only, but nothing more.
On the tune I attached (only to fix @White MPS request/issue) has the boost limits at 229kPa MAP, which will result in a maximum boost of about the same value you see now before the throttle reduction will kick in.

However in your case the problem is not the maximum boost or load a tune can achieve, but the boost/load ramping rate especially in the low-mid rev range and especially in the lower gears, problem being that with the mods you have the fuel pump cannot keep up with the rate of increase for the fuel demands even if it can supply the required amount of fuel in every RPM point for the maximum load targetted there.

Differently put, let's say you can spin a tire with like 1800rpm which on our cars means about 110Kmph and it will gave grip there. But if you accelerate foot-to-the-floor from 1st to 3rd it will eventually reach 1800rpm/110Kmph and maintain grip but in the meanwhile the forces spinning it will make it lose grip and wear it out. Replace "grip" with" fuel amount" to translate the tire problems into the fuel pump problems and you kind of have an understanding what's going on.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ianstattoos

Post by Ianstattoos »

Hi I have HPFP internals am I okay to use this map? I also find the popping at lower rpms a bit too much. Thanks
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Yes, you're perfectly safe with that tune.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
10borja

Post by 10borja »

mituc wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm
rsar wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm No, I believe it still stock.
The tune above will work for cars without upgraded fuel pump internals, however, the fact that you have a way better flowing exhaust some custom tuning of the wastegate duty cycle table is required.

Going with exhaust mods and no fuel pump internals and intercooler upgrades is not only useless (because you can make the same power on the stock turbo because the safe limits are below the max capabilities of the stock setup anyway) but also dangerous especially (but not limited to) gen2 3MPS/Mazdaspeed3. So I suggest to get pump upgrades last week and install them yesterday :) Any pump internals you want, not particularly in this order: Autotech, CorkSport, Cobb, VIS Motorsports.
Hello !!, I'm sorry to bother you after so long, I'm new to the forum, I bought a mazdaspeed 6 with custom repro made in versatuner, but I wanted to have pops & crackles , if I pass you my melody, could you activate them? Only for high rpm ( 3000rpm upwards.)

Thank you!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

10borja wrote: May 14th, 2021, 11:52 pmif I pass you my melody, could you activate them? Only for high rpm ( 3000rpm upwards.)
Yes, if your tune is not locked by your tuner.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Robin MPS

Post by Robin MPS »

Isn't crackle and pops really bad for your turbo and downpipe? And will the pops won't sound like an AK-47 if you set the limit to 3500 RPM?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Well they are not ideal, especially if you have a catted exhaust (the bangs may affects the converters after a while), but if you really want the show then it's a small price to pay.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Gego

Post by Gego »

mituc wrote: August 5th, 2020, 7:55 pm Here it is, let me know if it works as you like it. Also enjoy the extra power.
Base 93US_98EU Octane with Crackle and Pop v1.01.vtune
Hi Mituc,

Is there also a version like this but for the High Load 98EU with Crackle/pop to make it a bit less obnoxious?
I think you already made one exactly like what i want for the mazdaspeed6
I already have upgraded HPFP, i wonder if that matters for the "extra power" you are talking about.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

If you have HPFP internals and you do not enjoy the pops&bangs I suggest you try the high load + cai + racepipe after you install all these mods...
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7