Gen 2 DP question

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
Lustlizard

Gen 2 DP question

Post by Lustlizard »

I recently bought a 2nd gen MS3 from a dealer. The car has some aftermarket parts installed on it, from what I can tell on visual inspection it has a Cobb ram intake, cpe hpfp, GFB 50/50 BOV, and cobb catback exhaust. That is all that I can tell from visual inspection as far as performance parts are concerned. The car appears to have had a cobb AP in previously but was removed before the car was sold. I currently own versatune lite and would like to put a new tune into the car and was planning on using an OTS tune until I get an etune from PD. I only have access to 91 octane so my choices are limited for for an OTS tune, and another problem that I am running into is the down pipe. I am currently unable to tell if the downpipe is stock or has been replaced. My hunch is that it has been replaced because the entire pipe is heat wrapped, but does appear to have a cat in it, and with the other mods that have been done to the car it wouldnt be far fetched to assume that it has been replaced. I have 2 questions, the first would is what is the easiest way to identify DP to tell if it is stock or not? The second question is what risk(s) am I running by putting an OTS tune for 91 octane that is for a stock or lightly modified car that requires stock DP? Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Gen 2 DP question

Post by mituc »

If it's wrapped most probably it's aftermarket. It's common to wrap the catted DPs because the catalythic converters generate a lot of heat which you don't have from a catless DP.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP